Women's basketball: Players step up, but Buffalo trumps Ohio

One game after toppling the conference kingpin, the Bobcats threw a gutter ball.

Ohio (13-16, 6-9 Mid-American Conference) struggled during the second half of Saturday’s 61-56 loss to the conference cellar-dwelling Buffalo Bulls (9-20, 4-11 MAC). It was the Bobcats’ fourth loss this season in a game in which they were leading at halftime.

Both teams saw production from players who do not normally fill up the stat sheet. For Ohio, Tina Fisher and Erin Bailes scored nine and 10 points, respectively.

“(Tina) definitely played well for us, giving us an inside presence that we’ve been missing all season,” Ohio coach Semeka Randall said. “It helps out because Shavon (Robinson) didn’t have a high game, so it was very helpful that (Erin) played with a lot of energy.  If we can keep her moving in the right direction it helps our team out because now we have inside-outside presence.”

Buffalo’s Teresa Semalulu complimented Brittney Hedderson’s 18 points with 15 of her own, well above her season average of just more than six points per game.

Hedderson leads the Bulls in scoring, averaging more than 20 points per game. But the Ohio defense limited her to only two points on 1-of-8 shooting in the first half. But, in the second half, Hedderson rattled off 16 points to lead her team.

“We knew Brittney Hedderson was going to come out and try to take the game over,” Randall said.

Randall added that, down the stretch, Buffalo made a run and Ohio could not get crucial defensive stops.

The Bulls scored 34 points in the paint, which accounted for the major difference in the game.

As seconds remained in the game, Mariah Byard sank a 3-pointer to bring Ohio back within one point.

After a quick foul by Alesia Howard and two free throws by Buffalo’s Christa Baccas, the Bobcats created the situation that they wanted.

An Ohio timeout set up a play and put the ball in the hands of its leader, Tenishia Benson, who forced a pass to Bailes. An ensuing turnover ended the game.  

nr225008@ohiou.edu