Men's Basketball: Cooper becomes assist leader as Ohio defeats Miami

OXFORD, Ohio, -- With a pass to T.J. Hall in the first half of Saturday’s game, Ohio point guard D.J. Cooper became the school’s all-time leader in career assists, but the only record that mattered to him after the game was 24-7.

The Bobcats (24-7, 11-5 Mid-American Conference) led almost the entire game and completed a season sweep against their rivals with a 63-54 win at Miami (9-20, 5-11 MAC).

Cooper came into the game needing just two assists to pass Dennis Whitaker with 652 on Ohio’s all-time assists list, and did it midway through the first half. Cooper credited his teammates on the accomplishment, but said his focus was on earning a tournament bye.

“That was my main focus tonight, just getting another road win and putting ourselves in a good position to succeed in the tournament next week,” he said.

The assist also moved Cooper into third place on the all-time conference assists list. Cooper finished the game with four assists, and led all scorers with 14 points.

“I knew if I didn’t get two assists, I’m not doing my job as a point guard getting my guys the ball anyways,” Cooper said.

The Bobcats came into the game needing just one win to clinch at least a two-round bye in the MAC Tournament next week. The win guarantees Ohio no lower than the No. 3 seed in the tournament, and a Bowling Green win against Buffalo would bump Ohio to No. 2, in which case the Bobcats would be awarded a three-round bye.

Ohio came out of the gate playing aggressive defensively and did not allow Miami to reach double-digit points until only 6:32 remained in the first half.

Offensively, the Bobcats shot 52 percent from the field in the first half and led 28-24 at the break.

Ohio led by as many as many as 12 points in the second half and never let the RedHawks come within four points.

Much of Ohio’s second-half success was spurred by forward Jon Smith, whose six offensive rebounds contributed to 14 second-chance points for Ohio. The Bobcats outrebounded Miami 34-26.

“I thought the play of Jon Smith was terrific. It may have been as good of a game as he’s played on both ends of the floor all season,” Ohio coach John Groce said. “I thought our attack on the glass was as important as anything in terms of determining the outcome of the game.“

Brian Sullivan led the RedHawks with 11 points, followed by Adam Thomas, who had 10.

For the second time this season, the Bobcats were able to contain MAC leading scorer Julian Mavunga, as Ohio held the senior to eight points.

“We were really hard to score against,” Groce said. “It’s been our calling card all season. The last two years we wouldn’t have been able to shoot 13 percent from 3 and win.”

The game may have been the last home game for Miami coach Charlie Coles, who hinted at retirement after the game.

“I’m winding this thing down. I don’t know what’s going to happen, and it isn’t going the way I want it to go,” Coles said. “I’m trying to say goodbye, but I don’t know how.” 

ro137807@ohiou.edu