Mojoflo will revisit Athens this Friday to play at Jackie O’s Pub & Brewery. The band plays a blend of jazz, funk, hip hop and soul, and is set to release its new album, a throwback to ’70s funk, June 9. (Kevin James| File)

Band brings mojo back to Jackie O's with new album, music video coming

Mojoflo’s old-school style of jazz, funk, hip hop and soul is making a return to Athens on the eve of a new record and music video.

The group will perform at Jackie O’s Pub & Brewery, 24 W. Union St., Friday at 10 p.m. for an extended set lasting well into the night.

“The best part about Athens is the crowd reaction,” said Walter Kolhoff, saxophonist for the band. “People in Athens who really appreciate live music come out and dance, have a lot of fun and show a lot of love for musicians.”

The band consistently comes back to Athens to perform for packed bars at Jazz Fest or house parties on Halloween.

The group is working on a new album, set to release June 9, which will feature new songs it has been testing out live while on the road, as well as several that have yet to be heard by fans.

“It’s our old-school project that we’ve been working on for a while, but we finally have all the songs written and the plans laid out to go record it,” Kolhoff said.

The album will be themed as a throwback to ’70s funk and soul with the goal to record it in the same old-school style using tape recorders and vintage devices.

Along with the album, Mojoflo has plans to record a music video for the song “Untitled” as an homage to ’70s cinema.

“Of the new songs, I like that one a lot; we all do,” said George Barrie, guitarist for the band. “It hits pretty hard and starts with a killer horn line.”

Barrie added that the band wrote the song nearly six months ago and that it will be good to have a solid recording of it.

Mojoflo, although currently unsigned, is looking to expand its reach to new audiences with this new album and music video on the horizon.

“We haven't had any offers, but it’s something we’re going to push for,” Barrie said. “We’ve been trying to get interest from a label, but even moreso just a manager or a national booking agency to push ourselves to the national scene just a little more.”

wh092010@ohiou.edu