Ohio’s Garrett Black waits for the throw as Cincinnati’s Jake Proctor steals second base. After losing Tuesday’s game against Cincinatti 11-2, Wednesday’s game against Marshall was rained out after 4 1/2 innings. (JASON CHOW | Staff Photographer)

Baseball: Thunderstorm forces leading Bobcats to leave field early

It doesn’t take much for Ohio to get up for its rivalry games, but the team sat down quicker than usual during the Bobcats’ game against Marshall Wednesday.

Ohio (13-15, 3-3 Mid-American Conference) jumped out to a quick lead in the first inning and tacked on another tally in the top of the fifth, but the contest did not advance past the bottom of the fifth because of severe weather near Huntington, W. Va.

Marshall’s staff called the game because there was lightning within six miles of the ballpark, Ohio coach Joe Carbone said.

“We came back to try and play again but after we walked around the field, we didn’t think the field was dry enough for us to play,” he said.

Junior pitcher Tyler Backstrom (0-2) made the start on the mound for the Bobcats. He threw for 4 1/3 innings in which he allowed two hits, one walk and had a strikeout.

The game was deemed a rainout, and the teams do not have plans to reschedule the remainder of the contest. Carbone said that, had his team taken the field again, he would have given his starter the rest of the day off.

“It’s difficult for the starting pitcher because you sit down and cool off and then you have to re-warm up,” he said. “It’d be tough for him to get back to the point where he was warm again.”

Carbone planned to have junior Brett Barber (2-0) pitch the majority of the relief innings if play resumed. He also said that junior Seth Streich (1-3), who has been inactive for nine games because of injury, could have seen time on the hill for one inning, though the poor weather could have changed Carbone’s mind.

When the team was told to vacate the field, it retreated to its bus where some players caught up on their studies and others reclined for a couple minutes of relaxation.

In other instances when the Bobcats have to return to the field, their response is not always particularly upbeat. After kicking back on the bus, players sometimes don’t take kindly to getting their heads back in the game, Carbone said.

“I’m ready to coach, but are my players ready to play?” Carbone said, laughingly. “Sometimes they’re not as mentally ready as they should be.”

The Bobcats lost 6-1 in their first bout with the Thundering Herd (11-16). Ohio was looking forward to exacting some revenge on its rival.

“Early in the season we played them, but I feel like we’re a different team now,” said Ohio right fielder Jensen Painter. “Whenever we’re on, we’re on, and we can play with anybody.”

Freshman first baseman Jake Madsen, who is not as familiar with the rivalry, agreed with his older counterpart.

“It’s definitely a big rivalry,” he said. “They beat us pretty easily last time around and we haven’t forgotten about it.”

Ohio has been relatively successful against Marshall of late. The Bobcats have taken four of the teams’ last seven games, including three of four last season.

jr992810@ohiou.edu