Bobcats earn series-split, 300th all-time MAC win

Despite finishing the weekend with as many wins as losses, the Bobcat offense remains powerful and promising with only six games left in the season.

Ohio (23-26, 10-8 Mid-American Conference) completed its final conference road trip of the season on Sunday with a 5-4 win against Eastern Michigan. The Bobcats split each of their series this weekend at Central Michigan and Eastern Michigan.

“I’m proud of my team. We are still hitting very strong,” Ohio coach Jodi Hermanek said. “We want to win every game, but you can’t complain finishing a weekend even on the road in the MAC.”

On Friday afternoon, the Bobcats played a doubleheader against the Chippewas, winning the first game and dropping the second with scores of 10-6 and 3-1, respectively.

The Ohio bats were on fire once again in the first game, as the team scored double-digit runs for the third consecutive game. Leading the team at the plate was first baseman Raven King, whose two-home run and six-RBI performance proved to be the difference.

The game was not only the team’s 300th all-time MAC win, but was also the third straight game in which King went deep. She hit three home runs in two games last Tuesday against Dayton.

“We played two good games against Central, but the first one was more of a game that was fitting for us, offensively,” Hermanek said. “At this time of the season everyone is good at adjusting and is finding their groove at the plate.”

The second game of the day was a much different story for the two squads. Central Michigan came out on top in the low-scoring pitchers’ duel.

The teams combined for only one hit through the first 2-2/3 innings, but Central Michigan jumped out to a lead in the fourth inning on an unearned run because of an Ohio fielding error. The Chippewas scored two more in the fifth, which was all they needed to win.

The Bobcats then headed south to face Eastern Michigan (21-30, 7-13 MAC).

In the first game on Saturday, the Eagles were able to hold off an Ohio comeback and picked up the 7-6 victory.

The Bobcats began the game with a 3-0 lead thanks to a pair of RBI hits from King and Adrienne Gebele. But Ohio quickly gave up its advantage after allowing seven runs in the third and fourth innings.

Despite losing the momentum, the Bobcats attempted to come back in the seventh inning, but could only manage three runs and eventually dropped the game.

The Bobcats responded to defeat the Eagles 5-4 the next day after catcher Lauren Gellerman crushed a grand slam in the fourth inning that gave the Bobcats the lead permanently

“My hit was really important and proved to be the difference-maker,” Gellerman said. “They had just scored three runs, and my homer completely changed the momentum. It was great.”

Winning the game for Ohio was pitcher Lauren McClary (15-15), who hurled 3-1/3 innings of relief and allowed only one run on one hit. McClary pitched 16 innings in the four games, which was a break after having pitched more than 26 last weekend.

Quick Stats

Friday

OHIO 10, Central Michigan 6

—Bobcats score double-digit runs for third straight game

Central Michigan 3, OHIO 1

— Ohio only records three hits against dominant CMU pitching

Saturday

Eastern Michigan 7, OHIO 6

— Ohio scored the first three runs and last three runs, but was not enough for win

Sunday

OHIO 5, Eastern Michigan 4

— Lauren Gellerman blasted a grand slam in top of the fourth to put the Bobcats ahead.

cl027410@ohiou.edu