Former Ohio receiver LaVon Brazill was selected during the sixth round of the NFL Draft by the Indianapolis Colts.

Colts take Brazill with 206th pick

It was possibly the biggest moment of his football career, but shortly before his name was called at the NFL Draft, former Ohio wide receiver LaVon Brazill was no where to be found.

Tired of waiting for a team to pick him, Brazill decided to take a nap when the sixth round of the draft began Saturday afternoon.

He was awoken by a phone call. On the other end were the Indianapolis Colts, who informed Brazill that they were going to select him with the 206th pick of the draft.

“Before the sixth round I was like, ‘This is going into the sixth round, I’m going to go to sleep and take a nap.’ And then my phone rang,” Brazill said.

Being selected by the Colts means that Brazill will join quarterback Andrew Luck of Stanford, who Indianapolis selected with the No. 1 overall pick on Thursday night.

Brazill said he is thrilled to get the opportunity to play along side the player that many have called the best quarterback prospect in 20 years.

"I’m very excited. At the combine I was talking to (Luck) and I asked him, ‘When am I going to catch one of your passes,’ ” Brazill said. “I’m just ready to catch passes for him.”

Brazill was the second receiver taken by the Colts during the draft after they took Florida International receiver T.Y. Hilton in the third round.

Indianapolis also selected two tight ends. 

Brazill will join a receiving corps in Indianapolis that includes perennial All-Pro receiver Reggie Wayne.

“I’m going to have my notebook and notepad out ready to learn from the best,” Brazill said. “Reggie Wayne is a great receiver, I hope I can follow his footsteps and make plays like him.”

Brazill became the 30th Ohio player to be selected in the history of the draft and follows 2010 selectee Taylor Price as the fourth Ohio receiver to ever be selected.

He is the second Ohio player to ever be drafted by the Colts, and the first since the team moved to Indianapolis in 1984. 

"I’m just thanking God,” Brazill said. “I’m blessed. He’s been leading me through all this.” 

ro137807@ohiou.edu