Golf: Bobcats pull out strong individual performances

The Ohio men’s and women’s golf teams strung together solid individual performances this weekend in preparation for the Mid-American Conference Championships.

The women’s golf team earned its best finish of the spring season at the Falcon Invitational, the last tournament before the MAC Championships. Ohio ended competition in third place on Sunday by shaving off one stroke from Saturday’s round of 320.

Senior Megan Weaver finished the tournament with the second-best overall score of the match and was one stroke off of finishing in first place.

Weaver said the team is in good position but still had some things to work on.

“We weren’t exactly happy with our performance. We didn’t all post the scores that we were looking for, but it was really tough conditions,” she said. “We still have two weeks of practice to improve to be the best that we can for MACs.”

The men’s golf team finished in 12th place at the OSU Kepler Invitational. Ohio golf coach Bob Cooley said the weather was a big factor, with heavy rain throughout the first two rounds.

Senior Paul Grauer finished the tournament tied for second place overall, carding a final-round score of 70. 

”I thought (Sunday’s) round was really, really good, in probably 30 to 35 mile-an-hour winds on a very difficult golf course,” Cooley said. “Paul played extremely well.”

Ohio was one stroke away from a tie for 10th place overall.

The women’s team will participate in the Spring Challenge Cup with Bowling Green on Monday. Coach Kelly Ovington said the competition would be tough, especially since Ohio has won the last two years.

“It’s definitely going to be a good match,” Ovington said. “It’s going to be pretty close this year. I think we’ve kind of run away with it the last few years, but we should definitely have a challenge on our hands on Monday.”  

mk277809@ohiou.edu

Quick Stats

— Ohio women’s golf finished second in the Falcon Invitational.

— Ohio men’s golf finished 12th in the OSU Kepler Invitational.

— Senior Paul Grauer finished second at the Kepler Invitational.

— Senior Megan Weaver finished second at the Falcon Invitational.