Kaylin Clarke pitches the ball during the double-header game against Bowling Green State University Falcons on Friday. The Bobcats lost the first game with a score of 4 to 2 and won the second game with a score of 3 to 1. (Sam Owens | Staff Photographer)

Softball: Weekend battles result in loss for the Bobcats

Despite battling in every game this weekend, a common theme arose for the Bobcats in their three losses: close but not close enough.

Ohio (15-18, 4-4 Mid-American Conference) won only one of four games against Ball State and Miami this weekend, as the Bobcats were back on the road after a six-game home stand.

The Bobcats held a lead in three of the four games but were not able to hold on. They blew leads of three runs in two different losses.

Through two weekends of MAC play, one at home and one on the road, Ohio now sits at an even record in the conference.

In the first game of a doubleheader against Ball State on Friday, Ohio held a 4-3 lead entering the bottom of the sixth inning. But the Cardinals scored five runs to blow the game open and to take Ohio out of the game in an 8-5 decision.

The largest blow of the inning came off the bat of Ball State’s Jennifer Gilbert, who crushed a three-run home run off Ohio pitcher Lauren McClary.

After dropping the first game of the day, Ohio was the team in the second game that came back to steal the lead in the end. The Cardinals led 5-2 entering the fifth when the Bobcat’s bats began to heat up. Ohio scored five runs in the final three innings to win the game 7-6.

Leading the way for Ohio at the plate was Lauren Gellerman, who went 2-for-4 in the game with two RBIs in and a run scored. Designated hitter Alexandria Basquez also recorded two hits and two RBIs in the game.

After its trip to Ball State, Ohio quickly turned around and traveled to Miami for games on Saturday and Sunday.

Miami, however, was not a kind host for the Bobcats. The RedHawks recorded walk-off victories on both days despite Ohio allowing only one run on Saturday and having led entering the bottom of the seventh on Sunday.

Ohio pitcher Lauren McClary pitched a great game on Saturday, as she allowed no earned runs, struck out seven Miami hitters and gave up only four hits in 6-1/3 innings pitched.

But Miami won the game 1-0 in walk-off fashion on a fielding error by Ohio’s Jenna Giusti at third base.

Sunday was a much different story for Ohio, but the ending was still the same in an 8-7 loss.

Ohio came out strong, scoring three runs in the top of the first inning, but Miami responded right away with four runs of their own in the bottom half. The squads each took turns with the lead until the seventh inning.

In the seventh inning, Ohio scored two runs to take a 7-6 lead, but Miami once again responded with a run of its own to force extra innings. The RedHawks and Bobcats swapped goose eggs for four innings on Easter Sunday before Miami walked-off with a sacrifice fly in the 11th.

Ohio will have a quick turnaround after Sunday’s long contest, as the team will travel to Marshall (22- 16) for a doubleheader on Wednesday afternoon.

cl027410@ohiou.edu

Quick Stats:

Ball State 8, OHIO 5

— The Bobcats blew a 5-2 lead after two innings

OHIO 7, Ball State 6

— Ohio scored two runs in top of seventh to take the lead and win.

Miami 1, OHIO 0

— The RedHawks won on a walk-off play on an Ohio fielding error

Miami 8, OHIO 7 (11 innings)

— Ohio scored two runs in the top of the seventh, but Miami responded to tie in the bottom of the inning to force extra innings.