Speak French to Me: Bon appetit: French food is creme de la creme

I, Danielle Limon, am utterly in love with French cuisine.  More than I thought was possible, and more than is probably socially acceptable.  

It’s true.  And I’m pleasantly surprised! I’m generally such a picky eater, but since I’ve been here I’ve made it my goal to at least try the foods I couldn’t pronounce and the soups I didn’t recognize.  And I love them.  

It started out with duck, and some vegetable type thing that I honestly don’t even remember the name of (slightly resembling mashed potatoes, but the similarity stopped at appearance).  They were delicious.  

After that, I decided that I had to try all new things, which is exactly what I did when my host mom offered me quiche and a green bean salad for lunch the next day.

I’ve been introduced to so many flavors and foods while I’ve been here, and it hasn’t even been a full month!

However, my new love for French foods has also come with its own cravings and temptations.  Sure, the pastries are wonderful, and the coffee is strong, but I’ve found myself craving something else constantly — fresh baguettes and French cheese.  

I wish I were joking, but I’m not, and I daresay there are many others here like myself who agree that even if one is on the verge of exploding after the first couple courses of dinner, there is always room for bread and cheese, even if you do decide to pass on dessert.

In my house alone, we have passed on dessert more than once, denied multiple servings, and even occasionally left food on our plates. But never have we ever skipped the cheese and bread.  

(Alas, as I write this article a friend of mine is sitting across from me skyping with her dad and eating a hearty lunch of kiwi, bread and cheese.)

I suppose I should try to tie some sort of lesson into this column.  I guess one could say it’s important to broaden one’s horizons by trying new things, whether that is food or other things.  After all, this does ring true to the cliché that “if you don’t try, you won’t know what you’re missing.”

But rather than spitting clichés and lessons at you today, I think I’d rather end with this: I will be sad when this trip ends in two months, if only because I know I will miss the bread and cheese.  

Danielle Limon is a freshman studying journalism and a columnist for The Post. Food your raison d’être? Send her a little cheese with that wine to

dl119510@ohiou.edu. s’il vous plait.