Ohio's Veronica Rock takes the ball past a Marshall player during the Bobcats' game against Marshall at Chessa Field on Saturday, April 14, 2012. The score was 0-0 when the game was cancelled due to poor weather conditions.

Spring Sports: Teams look to nab wins in weekend play

Two Ohio squads will look to grab a pair of victories during spring action Saturday.

Volleyball

On Saturday, Ohio will continue its quest for its first win of the spring season against Marshall. The Bobcats enter the match having lost four close ones.

Much of Ohio’s impending success will be determined by its production across all parts of the court. During the past few weeks, coach Ryan Theis has stressed the importance of scoring on the middle and right side of the court.

Serena Warner, a middle blocker, could be a huge factor in whether or not the Bobcats accomplish their goal of creating a more balanced attack. In the team’s trip to the KIVA College Tournament last weekend, Warner recorded 22 points and 17 kills.

“We’ve tried to use her speed as an advantage by setting her almost as fast as possible,” Theis said. “We hope she can continue to contribute with the level of efficiency she is, because she’s doing really well.”

Theis said that Warner would not move from the middle of the court, but he did say that the spring was a good time to make slight alterations.

“The players spend some time learning some other positions based on incoming kids for next year,” Theis said. “Its not wholesale position switches…but doing different things based on those positions is what is going to happen in the spring.”

Ohio’s unfamiliarity with The Thundering Herd could also influence the outcome of the match. Despite their proximity, the two squads do not often meet on the court.

“I know they have a tall center and they’re typically a pretty athletic team,” Theis said. “They play hard.”

Soccer

On Saturday at Chessa Field, Ohio will be looking to build upon an already impressive start to the spring season. The Bobcats surged past Capital with a 3-1 victory last weekend.

The team put on a plethora of shots and had great ball movement in the offensive third. Ohio will hope to match its offensive production against Eastern Kentucky.

“I thought there were some really good combinations in the second half to create some chances,” Strauss said of last game. “The finishing could have been a little better, we had some off the corners especially that we could have easily put away but that being said it was good to get three goals.”

Transfer Maggie Murnane did not score in her debut in the green and white but she provided Ohio with a huge offensive boost. Murnane played an integral role in the game’s first goal when a clearance from the goalie deflected off her body and created a golden opportunity for her teammate.

“It was exciting in the first three minutes when the goalie wasn’t coming out for it and (Veronica Rock) with the great left foot swung it back in,” Murnane said.

mm938910@ohiou.edu