We're all a little mad for Alice the musical

This weekend, the Athens High School drama department is taking a dive down the rabbit hole, bringing a new adaptation of Lewis Carroll's classic tale to life on stage.

Friday, high-school students will take to the stage to present Alice: a New Family Musical by Michael Lancy. The show, directed by Carol Patterson, is a new adaptation of the classic story by Lewis Carroll.

“Personally, I love the story of Alice in Wonderland,” said Christina Beck, the marketing and PR head of the show. “I love that Alice is such a curious person, with such a tremendous sense of adventure.”

The adventure of the show and the experiences along the way are what Beck said she believes makes the show a family musical that is able to entertain audiences of all ages.

“Alice is a terrific character, and she interacts with quite fun and unique characters throughout the show,” Beck said. “I believe that younger children will laugh at the more comedic aspects of the show and that individuals of all ages will appreciate the story and the spectacular musical numbers.”

The plethora of featured characters in the show is something that sets the show apart from others, said Chelsea Pangburn, a senior at Athens High School who will play the leading role.

And although her character's name tops the bill, Pangburn said she doesn't quite feel like the “star” of the show.

“This musical was set up in a way so that in each scene where Alice meets a new character, she sort of becomes the secondary character, while the minor character shines,” she said. “I've come to really like that aspect of the show, and it makes each scene very unique.”

The production is also part of a nationwide production of the show, called Project CenterStage 2012.

The project, which is in its first year, allows each school involved to film their production of Alice for a live simulcast that will be aired in May. The schools involved also get to communicate during rehearsals and show nights.

"We are all very excited to be a part of this memorable learning adventure and to share it with our audiences," Patterson said in a press release.

ks574510@ohiou.edu