Women's Golf: Bobcats finish season with seventh place finish

Ohio concluded its spring season Sunday with a seventh-place finish out of nine teams in the Mid-American Conference Tournament.

During the three-day tournament, Ohio shot a 993, which was 85 strokes higher than first-place finisher Kent State, which finished 16 strokes ahead of second-place Ball State.

The Bobcats finished in eighth place after the first round on Friday by shooting a team score of 334. That score was the Bobcats’ highest of the tournament.

Ohio coach Kelly Ovington said she was pleased with her golfers’ resiliency that led to improvement throughout the weekend, but she said she would have been happier with a better first round.

“Overall we did pretty well,” Ovington said. ”We really needed a few more lower scores to move us into a better position and probably a little bit earlier.”

The Bobcats improved on Saturday, by collectively carding a 329. Ohio’s team score was five strokes lower than Friday, which contributed to a seventh-place finish. But on Sunday, the Bobcats did not gain any ground and finished competition in seventh.

Senior Megan Weaver, who shot a 77 on Sunday, finished in 19th place to lead Ohio. Despite closing the weekend with her worst round of the tournament, Brinkmann was still able to finish in a tie for 23rd place by shooting an 82.

Ovington said the course conditions were challenging on Sunday because of overnight rain at The Hawthorns Golf and Country Club. When the Bobcats played that course last October, Ohio shot a 324 and a 309.

“The course was playing very long,” Ovington said, “For us, we’re not a real long team lengthwise off the tee, and everywhere else that needed one more shot for us to get to the hole.”

Ohio finished 20 strokes behind sixth-place finisher Western Michigan and six strokes ahead of Bowling Green and Northern Illinois, which finished in a tie for eighth.

QUICKSTATS:

MAC Tournament

The Hawthorns Golf and Country Club

Fishers, Ind.

— Ohio finished in seventh place.

— The Bobcats finished 20 strokes out of sixth place.

— Ohio finished seventh in the MAC Tournament last year as well.

mk277809@ohiou.edu