Football: Season-ticket sales jump after bowl win

Ohio has reaped more than just potatoes in return for its recent athletic success.

Possibly a direct result of one of the school’s most successful seasons in history, which included a win in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, ticket sales for the upcoming football season have increased exponentially from this time last year.

Dan Hauser, senior associate athletic director for external operations, said the Bobcats have witnessed a 219 percent increase in season-ticket sales from exactly one year ago.

Similarly, Hauser said Ohio ticket-sales revenue increased by 144 percent from May 14, 2011, partly because of the school’s first-ever bowl win and added television exposure.

“All of that enables us to just kind of stay on this high and hopefully ride that into next year with a lot of optimism about our teams going into next year,” Hauser said.

In order to capitalize on the team’s 2011 success, Ohio mailed out ticket renewal forms earlier this year than it has in the past.

The Bobcats started sending out information a week after the spring game. Hauser said the department is pleased with the early success but hopes it can sustain the increased level of sales. 

“We’re excited about where we’re going,” Hauser said. “We’re working hard to try and keep those sales numbers up, but the true measure and the true impact of everything will be realized in September.”

Chris Radford, assistant athletic director for ticket operations, said the basketball team’s success played a large role in the success of football ticket sales.

“People were still on cloud nine, excited, and then they saw football season tickets on sale,” Radford said. “It’s definitely easier to sell something when people are enthused and excited for our big basketball run. They want to keep it going for football.”

Ohio will be using telemarketing efforts throughout the summer and fall to make a final push.

At least four Ohio football games will be televised this season, including the last four Mid-American Conference games of the year.

The Bobcats will face Penn State and Marshall on the road for their two marquee non-conference matchups. Hauser said it is too early to tell how those games will sell but expects a large contingent of Bobcat fans to make the trip.

The game in Happy Valley does not have any scheduled TV coverage yet, but Hauser said there is a possibility it could air on the Big Ten Network.

For home games, the Bobcats are offering a family pack, which includes tickets for two adults and two youth. That package’s sales have increased by 12 percent from 2011.

“I think the bowl win for sure catapults us to a new benchmark,” Hauser said. “I don’t think it’s the endgame of where we want to get to as a program, but it enables us to get one more rung up on the ladder, one more hurdle accomplished,” Hauser said.

The Bobcats finished with 39 men’s basketball and football wins combined — the most in school history.

mk277809@ohiou.edu