Sports Column: Editor offers snippets from top stories in sports

What’s better than a Tuesday sports column? A bunch of mini-columns — or better yet, mini-burgers …

The best thing that happened to the NBA this year was:

The lockout. The league lost absolutely nothing by starting the season on Christmas Day and pushing the playoffs back a week or so. The regular season means less in the NBA than in any other sport: more than half of the teams get into the playoffs, and authentic defense is just a nice theory until the postseason arrives.

The scoring title race between Kevin Durant and Kobe Bryant came down to the last day of the season, though injuries have risen because of the league’s decision to cram 66 games into four months. But that also meant we got to watch the Charlotte Bobcats end up with the worst winning percentage in NBA history. The shortened schedule means legendary owner Michael Jordan did not break the record for most losses in a season. Small victories, MJ. Small victories.

NFL Draft lacks magic of pre-Twitter era

ESPN’s greatest gift to football is not the sultry sound of Mike Tirico calling a game on Monday night. The network’s best hire was Adam Schefter, the ultimate insider who makes most other “insiders” look like the average fan. But with the dawn of social media, Schefter has shafted the NFL Draft.

Schefter tracked down most of the top 10 picks and a lot of other selections throughout the early rounds of the draft. Schefter magically tracks down the comings and goings of each team and delivers a prophetic utterance just before commissioner Roger Goodell announces the pick to the masses. For fans, this is either breathtaking or a buzz kill. Imagine if your parents told you what presents you got for your birthday right as you started tearing into the gift-wrap.

Surprise!

Baseball acquisitions teach us about America’s Pastime

One month into the Major League Baseball season, an important lesson has emerged: Don’t hang your hat on your superstar.

The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim acquired slugger Albert Pujols, but the former St. Louis sensation has done next to nothing right on the Left Coast. The Detroit Tigers added Prince Fielder to their lineup, but they stand at a tepid 11-11 record. Brandon Phillips and Joey Votto signed huge contracts to stay with the Cincinnati Reds, who also are 11-11 while the Cardinals lead the NL Central with a rookie manager and without Pujols.

The revamped Miami Marlins have settled back into fifth place after moving to their new stadium. Manager Ozzie Guillen has been suspended for almost as many games as his team has won. And with a share of the best record in baseball are the Los Angeles Dodgers, who are owned by the one-and-only Magic Johnson.

But don’t get too confident, Indians fans. There’s still 142 games to play — or saves to blow.

Post travels halfway ‘round the world, — sort of …

Assistant sports editor Rob Ogden and I traveled 10,132 miles this year covering 17 Ohio football and men’s basketball games. That’s about as far as Athens is from Antarctica. The trips have taken up most of our weekends and paychecks, but it was definitely worth it. No other Post sports writers have covered a bowl game, Mid-American Conference tournament title and Sweet 16 appearance in one academic year.

Of course, the glorious road to places such as Boise and Nashville also included midweek trips to blustery Mt. Pleasant, Mich., bland Bowling Green and nondescript Kent, Ohio. We travelled more than 5,000 miles just during exam weeks and “breaks” between quarters. We almost always spent more time driving to and from the event than at the game itself.  But, oh, was it worth it.

Michael Stainbrook is a junior studying journalism and the sports editor for The Post. Send him your mini-comments at ms229908@ohiou.edu.