Spring Into Shape: Fruits & veggies at core of being a healthy eater

An apple a day keeps the doctor away.

So we’ve been told since we were five. But how many of us can honestly say we even consume this minimum?

One of the easiest things you can do to be healthier is to eat more fruits and vegetables (and let’s face it, few college students get five-to-nine servings of this essential food group per day).

The good news? Fixing this is simple; you just need a little push. Why should you consume that much fruit and/or vegetables per day, or even in a week? Let’s dig in.

Convenience

The best thing about fruits and veggies is that no matter how busy you are, you can always grab them when it’s go-time. You can carry them anywhere in any form: dried, frozen or canned. So when you’re scrambling for an alternative to a Shookie or a bag of salty chips in the Grab-N-Go line, grab a banana or an orange.

If it’s the weekend and you’re looking for more variety, you can stock up on local produce from the Athens Farmers Market. This way, you can have foods like strawberries and spinach for your place when you’re searching for a snack.

Fruit and vegetables will always be easy and delicious, but the fact that they’re also naturally produced means it’s better for you. It’s beneficial to cut down on the processed food when possible, and this food is a great way to do that.

Whether you live on or off campus, fruits and veggies are available for you to indulge.

Reduction in the risk of disease

They say that old habits die hard, and the way we eat is no exception. The patterns we follow with our diets may carry over years and years from now, and that’s when we will be focusing on reducing our risks of developing cancer and other harmful diseases. So, be smart now, and devour some of these treats to help your risk diminish.

While regularly eating a pineapple can help fight against arthritis, studies have shown that mangos can help prevent breast and colon cancer. Berries, which contain powerful antioxidants, can also fight off the deadly disease.

Gulp down a glass of pineapple juice, munch on a mango, or enjoy a handful of raspberries, blackberries or blueberries. These snacks also give you an energy boost.

The nutrients in cherries work to calm your nervous system and grapes can relax your blood vessels. The potassium in watermelon helps control your heart rate. To put this heart-healthy plan into action, try a fruit cup with these three fruits. The combination is new and satisfying.

Source of vitamins and minerals

Which vitamins do fruits and veggies tackle when we consume them? Here are the major ones.

Vitamin A - A resource that promotes development and growth is essential for our still-young bodies. The fruits that contain the most Vitamin A include grapefruits, tomatoes, papayas and cantaloupes, while vegetables, squash and Brussels sprouts are also solid choices.

Vitamin B5 – This vitamin is key when dealing with our metabolism, cholesterol level and hormones. To keep this in check, stick to fruits such as avocados and pomegranates and vegetables such as corn and potatoes.

Vitamin C – What many say is the most important of all vitamins (it protects our cells and body tissue) contains an adequate source of vitamins and minerals through fruits and vegetables, too. To get your fix, try some kiwi or broccoli.

Kaitlyn Richert is a sophomore studying journalism and information graphics and a columnist for The Post. Email her your diet tips at kr257109@ohiou.edu.