Success of OU teams a boost for uptown stores

The fantastic year of Ohio University’s football and men’s basketball teams is more than just a cause for celebration on OU’s campus — it has generated revenue for merchandise shops around campus.

This year, the Bobcat football team won its first-ever bowl game by defeating Utah State in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl in Boise, Idaho. Meanwhile, the men’s basketball team won the Mid-American Conference Tournament, and made a run to the Sweet 16 in the NCAA Tournament.

College Book Store, located at 50 S. Court St., has seen the effects firsthand. Andrew Stout, assistant general manager of College Book Store, said he is very appreciative of what the teams have done for his business.

“The exciting part is that it generates business out of Athens, Ohio, and we are very grateful of that,” Stout said.

Bobcat Essentials, located on the fourth floor of Baker University Center, has also seen an increase in business this year.

“Both foot and Internet traffic has increased this year,” said store manager Stacy Haney. “There are a lot of factors that go into it, but the introduction of several newly featured products such as the Sweet 16 shirts and new football gear has helped out business for sure.”

Stout pointed out that though the increased business is great, it comes with more expenses because the cost of marketing and employment increase.

The teams’ success created jobs and boosted the economy in Athens, he added.

“For the people who think we are making all this money off the success of the teams this year, that would be false,” Stout said.

College Book Store carries about 14 different basketball shirts related to the basketball team’s MAC Tournament championship and its run through the NCAA Tournament.

“We have a lot more new customers that are excited about wearing OU gear,” Stout said.

Stout wouldn’t give an exact percentage on how much business increased, but said that the store received quite an influx of sales in the spring during the NCAA Tournament run. College Book Store’s Internet sales tripled during Christmas time because of OU’s bowl win.

tt182810@ohiou.edu