Courtney Weiss competes in the women’s 400-meter hurdles, an event she would win. The Bobcats are finishing up their season this weekend with the Ohio Sunset Distance and Discus Classic. (Adam Birkan | For the Post )

Track & Field: Bobcats host 'fun' meet to end season

Although the regular outdoor season is over for many Bobcats, the team will host the third annual Ohio Sunset Distance and Discus Classic Friday on the Goldsberry Track for athletes to either prepare for the NCAA Championships or wrap up their seasons.

“It’s basically a post-season fun meet,” throws coach Nick Pero said. “Not everyone competes in it from our team — only the people who want to do something, do something.”

Distance coach Mitch Bentley said there are six events with 10-15 athletes competing in each. All events are individual based, so there will be no team events.

Along with a few Bobcats, post-collegiate, unattached and some Division III athletes will compete. The Division III schools are Ohio Wesleyan and Mount Union, both of which have some athletes reaching for marks to make their NCAA meets.

Starting at 6 p.m., the events begin with the discus throw, followed by the 3,000-meter steeplechase, 800-meter run, the mile and conclude with the 5,000-meter race.

“This distance trails are always fun because the races are at night so it’s cooler and the wind has died down,” Bentley said.

Bentley went on to say that this meet is huge for the Ohio men’s cross country team because they are gearing up for summer training and it sets the tone for their upcoming fall season. 

Sophomore Emily Pifer is not one of the Bobcats competing this weekend. Instead, she is preparing for the 10,000-meter race at the NCAA East Regional meet in Jacksonville, Fla. next week.

UPNEXT

Ohio Sunset Distance and Discus Classic

May 18

Goldsberry Track

nb155607@ohio.edu