We, The Students: Society too often stigmatizes student mothers

Student pregnancy is one of those privileged issues to which people usually refer to as “don’t ask, don’t tell.” Although not widely spoken about, this problem deserves attention.

Like any aspect of student life, perception of student pregnancy depends on a society’s social values.

Getting pregnant in countries such as China and Russia, for example, is regarded, if not as a crime, then as a misdeed and a disreputable act. Shortly afterward, that female student will be labeled as immoral, idle and irresponsible.

The stigma of a bad girl –– the one who breaks the rules –– will follow her through the rest of her time in college. Unfortunately, if she decides to keep the child, it won’t be easy for her to adjust her studies to the new situation.

In Russia, the bureaucratic system has no regulations concerning student pregnancy. Taking a maternity leave can jeopardize a female student’s chance to further her education. Provided her family’s moral and financial support, she will have to go to school, just as any of her peers, combining the two roles of a mother and a student.

Professors and colleagues will often look down on her, treat her as inferior and incapable of serious achievements. Many equate getting pregnant with being caught red-handed: The sinner pays for the follies of everyone else. According to social norms, being a single mother is still the worst thing that can happen to a young woman.

Although not completely devoid of the bad-girl stigma, the attitude toward young, single mothers differs in Germany and France. The presence of a female student who’s expecting, or the one with a small child in a classroom does not make everyone turn and stare in her direction. The state recognizes the right of young, unmarried females to become mothers. There is social welfare to help them pull through their studies, though she must demonstrate her ability to continue working to receive the assistance. No one will criticize or reproach a student mother for getting “knocked up” as long as she is strong and independent enough to raise the child.

Just like in Russia and China, abortion in Germany and France is not a politicized and state-controlled issue. The decision whether to keep the child concerns the woman herself, her financial circumstances and the degree of her family’s and her boyfriend or significant other’s backup. A female student will more likely preserve this little life in a social environment with more support.

Comparing the perceptions of student pregnancy provides an insight into the social norms and values that these societies hold dear.

Many Western countries regard student pregnancy as acceptable, recognizing female students as individuals mature enough to decide for themselves and become mothers while still successfully pursuing a career. Being pregnant and single is not considered a “fail,” but a natural circumstance in life.

Yet, in many societies, getting pregnant while in college is viewed as losing in life and not being an achiever. To avoid this, young women either abstain from sexual contact until married or choose abortion.

Motherhood is a blessing and a gift, regardless of social status. No one has the right to stigmatize a female student for choosing to become a mother.

Nadja Panchenko is a graduate student studying journalism and American studies who attended Ohio University last quarter and is a columnist for The Post. She is continuing her studies at Leipzig University. Email her at np577711@ohiou.edu.