Wit & Banter: Procrastination: We hate to love it, love to hate it

As the end of our final quarter quickly closes in, I find that my to-do list grows exponentially. As each hour passes, I’ve accumulated so many more things to do that it just isn’t humanly possible to accomplish all of them within 24 hours.

Then, of course, panic sets in, but only after a few hours of hanging out with my good pal, Procrastination.

Unfortunately, I tend to hang out with Procrastination when I have large projects or papers coming around the bend.

Typically, these are assignments that we as students knew about since day one of the quarter, and could’ve, should’ve, would’ve started in advance if other things (like napping) didn’t navigate their way to the top of the priority list.

That’s right, we’ve known about this final project for months, and it’s due in the next few days. The workload is daunting, time-consuming and more unappealing with each passing minute. Deep down, you know that you don’t have much of a choice if you want to pass the class.

So you sit down in front of the TV and waste a few hours in order to attempt to calm your anxiety level before beginning work. Seems counterintuitive if you ask me, but when you live in Procrastination Nation —otherwise known as college — work can always wait until tomorrow. Well, unless it’s due first thing in the morning. In which case, you may be screwed and you’re probably making a huge mistake.

It’s so easy to tell yourself that you’ll get to work at the end of this episode or once you wake up from your nap.

But things inevitably come up, and flirting with Procrastination becomes your big, bad habit.

I’ve found ways to make my own to-do list seem less threatening to my life, which may help you out, too.

I’ve learned to take the idea “you may not be here tomorrow” to heart. Why put it off for tomorrow when you can do it today? No day but today, right? Plus, if you base your work ethic off the fact “you may not live until tomorrow so why bother doing the work?” then you sure won’t do so hot when final grades roll out.

Reward yourself! I always tell myself that if I get an assignment done, then I’ll treat myself to ice cream or something, but only if it actually gets done.

Also, take one task at a time. Don’t think about all the work you have to do. Just think about one thing, get it done and then move on to the next. Don’t overwhelm your brain.

And finally, the biggest incentive I have is that if you get it all done earlier, that leaves extra time to just chill. Get the paper written by Thursday, and then you have all weekend at your disposal.

There is no better feeling than that.

Tanya Parker is a junior studying broadcast journalism and a columnist for The Post. Put off sending her an email at tp259509@ohiou.edu