Football: Ohio will play Penn State as planned

Penn State will open its 2012-13 season against Ohio with one of its worst recruiting classes of late, a hole in its pocketbook and postseason ban in its future.

The NCAA ruled Monday morning Penn State will lose 40 scholarships over four years, vacate all wins from 1998-2011, enter a four-year bowl ban, be charged a $60 million fine and enter a 5-year probationary period, among other sanctions — a crippling blow to the university and its football program.

The $60 million penalty will echo repercussions throughout the Penn State community, because the football program subsidizes other intercollegiate sports.

Any Penn State players that choose to transfer will be allowed to do so, and will be allowed to compete immediately for other universities. Also, Penn State student-athletes will be allowed to leave the football team and retain their financial aid.

The ruling came on the heels the symbolic dismantling of former coach Joe Paterno’s statue outside Beaver Stadium Sunday.

The impact for Ohio is minimal, as the Bobcats will still make their trip to State College for their Sept. 1 game with Penn State as initially planned.

Ohio officials earlier said they had not additionally communicated with Penn State officials leading up to the ruling.

Ohio Athletics refused to comment on the matter Monday morning, on the basis that the ruling does not directly affect the program.

Former Penn State assistant coach Jerry Sandusky was found guilty on 45 of 48 counts of child sex abuse June 22.  

jr992810@ohiou.edu