Ohio players from the offensive line walk onto the field during the Sept. 17, 2011 game against Marshall. Ohio won the game 44-7. The players credit their off-field friendship as an enhancer of their on-field success. (Greg Roberts | File Photo)

OU signs contract with Russell Athletic

Ohio University will not change athletic outfitters in 2012, as it signed a new five-year contract with Russell Athletic earlier this month worth almost 50 percent more in equipment than the parties’ last agreement.

The deal dismantled the possibility that the Bobcats’ jerseys could be emblazoned with the likes of a trademark Nike swoosh or Under Armour symbol beginning this fall.

Ohio opened a request for proposal Aug. 31 that permitted other equipment providers to submit proposals to the schools.

Dan Hauser, Ohio senior associate athletic director for external operations, said Russell’s bid was far and away the best offer but would not comment on which other companies expressed interest.

“Russell has done an outstanding job with us before,” he said.

The parties’ five-year contract ended June 30.

“It’s easy to say we are one of the lead universities they work with,” he said.

Ohio is one of Russell’s top-tier collegiate partners. Two of its more prominent programs are Georgia Tech and Colorado State, and no other Mid-American Conference teams rep Russell’s block “R.”

That priority is echoed in the new contract, in which the Bobcats have what Hauser called the “number one in the MAC by a long shot.”

The sweetest part of the contract is what is referred to as the “in-time product” — how much “free” stuff each of Ohio’s intercollegiate teams is given.

The parties’ new deal calls for a 48 percent increase in equipment provisions from the last contract, in which the football team’s portion was valued at $335,840 over five years. 

The gear is not really free, though.

Under the old contract’s model, Russell was deemed the university’s “exclusive provider of athletic apparel” and was granted exposure in team programs, in-game announcements, signage and other avenues.

Ohio was also keen on Russell’s bid because it did not include a minimum purchase agreement — something Hauser said is very popular in such contracts.

If a contract includes a minimum purchase agreement, the athletic department is required to buy at least a certain dollar amount of additional goods to satisfy its agreement with the equipment provider.

Notably, the men’s basketball team cashed in an additional $10,000 from Russell this season by winning a MAC Championship. The football team would have pocketed the same had it won the conference crown.

Ohio’s 2007 contract with Russell did not include a minimum purchase agreement, either.

Under the new agreement, Ohio will also be able to purchase all OU apparel for 50 percent less than the catalogue cost.

Russell went beyond its contractual obligations in 2011-12, supplying many Bobcat teams with alternative black jerseys. The new contract includes allotments for similar novelties, possibly as soon as this year.

“There are provisions for exploration of alternative uniforms, or new uniforms that could be introduced over the years,” Hauser said.

“What those may be, or what games they may be introduced in” this season remains to be seen, he said.

Russell is making strides toward becoming more of a player in the collegiate scene. Beginning this season, it will sponsor a bowl game, the Dec. 28 Russell Athletic Bowl  formerly the Champs Sports Bowl — in Orlando.

jr992810@ohiou.edu