Summer months shift focus for Athens businesses, residents

When Ohio University students left their campus dwellings to enjoy their summer in June, Athens transformed from rowdy college town into a calm, family-oriented city — as it does every summer.

The three-month solace from the hustle and bustle of the university calendar allows for a change in focus for businesses, city government and remaining students. But more importantly, the city’s summer transition allows for a break until the next school year rolls around.

Focus shift for businesses and tourism

The clambering of footsteps up and down the bricks of Court Street continues well into the summer months in Athens; however, the steps taken are from families visiting or shopping instead of the usual hoards of students headed to the bars.

Athens businesses shift their focus to families to coincide with many of the annual summer events and Bobcat Orientation that bring in out-of-towners, said Wendy Jakmas, president of the Athens Area Chamber of Commerce.

“Though business in Athens is affected with the end-of-the-year student population mass exodus, we are fortunate to have tourism venues such as Brew Week, Boogie on the Bricks and Concert Under the Elms ... help the interim loss of tens of thousands of students,” Jakmas said.

She added that advertising from local businesses during these events helps encourage families to make their way to stores.

Many summer events, such as Brew Week, help uptown venues such as Jackie O’s Pub and Brewery keep business moving, said Pete Holey, manager at Jackie O’s, who added that summer business is otherwise “devastatingly slow.”

Although business is slow, tripling the brewing capacity at Jackie O's has helped them push through the summer, he said.

“We basically can’t make beer fast enough, and by tripling capacity, we can start meeting our demand in terms of distribution, which means more sales,” Holey said.

Despite the lack of students, Union Street Diner has managed to keep steady business flowing throughout the summer.

“People want to eat our type of food,” said Jordan Yenhert, daytime manager for the restaurant. “This helps us maintain regular local clients without much worry that students aren’t around.”

During the summer, the 24-hour diner sees fewer customers during the early-morning hours, a popular time for college students to dine during the school year, Yenhert added.

“Though we have a lot less business during the night, there are still the random college kids and, for lack of a better word, Athens drunks that stumble in,” he said.

School's not out for the summer

Summer session in Athens guarantees two things for students each year: a heavy workload and tamer weekends.

With classes crammed into 4-week sessions, the work piles up fast, said Max Bergson, a senior studying sociology.

“The atmosphere is pretty chill," she said. “Teachers seem nicer and less stressed.”

Aside from the influx of students during Brew Week and other summer events, Bergson said summer weekends are quieter and parties are much smaller.

Summer signals a project period for city government

Athens officials are taking full advantage of the reduced population during the summer to move forward on projects before the next school year begins.

Members of Athens City Council and other city officials are eager to get as much done during the summer as possible to enhance the quality of life in Athens, said Councilman Kent Butler, D-1st Ward.

“Since Council takes a recess in August, we try to push for ordinances and move forward with projects so construction or other ventures can take advantage of the lack of students,” Butler said.

Recently, Council passed an ordinance to replace waterlines on the East side of Athens as well as to commence sewer line reconstruction and sidewalk renovation on the North end of Court Street.

Although both of these projects will continue into the school year, Butler said the enhancements to infrastructure will be more beneficial in the long run.

kg298709@ohiou.edu