Soccer: Bobcats break Eagles defense late in bruising win

It took 88 minutes for Ohio to fool Morehead State’s defense in a 1-0 win Friday.

Ohio (2-3) senior Cat Rogers scored the Bobcats’ lone goal — her fourth of the season — in what proved to be a physical match. Ohio finished the night with 11 fouls, one less than the Eagles.

Ohio coach Stacy Strauss said she has seen her team improve leaps and bounds since its 0-3 start to the season. 

“I thought we did a good job staying composed and organized,” she said. “Cat was opportunistic, as she has been for us all fall.”

Ohio senior forward Veronica Rock had a good look at the back of the net in the 22nd minute, but the Eagles’ keeper, Elizabeth Floyd, brushed her attempt aside.

Strauss said the Bobcats are is starting to pull together complete performances, aided by strong underclassmen contributions.

“The team is starting to figure out how each other plays a bit more each game,” she said. “The freshman are beginning to get more comfortable with the speed and style of play.”

The second half started much like the first, with both teams jockeying for possession.

Ohio junior keeper Mattie Liston moved into third place on Ohio’s all time saves list in the 68th minute, passing Michelle Meglaughlin’s mark of 212 stops.

Liston made six saves in the win, which was her second-straight shutout.

Rogers said the team’s progression throughout the season was evident in the win.

“You can see how far, even in these four games, how far we’ve come,” she said. “We could have just quit and had our eyes set on overtime, but in this game we didn’t quit. We kept going, kept attacking and we ended up putting the ball away late in the game.”

mk2778092ohiou.edu