Ohio University Marching 110 members Tim Martin and Kyle Marx also perform with Drum Corps International. The additional practice helps keep 110 members on their toes during the summer break. (JASON CHOW | Staff Photographer)

The beat of their own drums

The members of the Marching 110 are notorious for their extensive training. They have to arrive in Athens a week earlier than most students, and it seems like their practices are heard across campus all day.

Yet for some members, that still isn’t enough.

Five members of the Marching 110 competed at Drum Corps International marching band competitions this summer, said Richard Suk, the director of the 110. He said the majority of 110 members target one specific group, the Cadets, due to its success at the competition.

“So much information is thrown at you when you march drum corps,” said Kyle Marx, a junior studying music education. “I absorbed so much information to use for the 110 and music education.”

The intensity of drum corps begins in November prior to the season with rigorous auditions and training camps. Performers can participate until they age out at 22.

Tuition fees are steep, amounting to as much as $3,000. However, that does not seem to deter members from returning again and again.

“It’s kind of weird,” said Tim Martin, an OU senior studying music education who marched snare drum with the Glassmen, another corps group. “It’s just something I really wanted to do ever since I saw the drum corps drum lines warming up on YouTube.”

Practicing 12 hours or more a day, drum corps members spend their days perfecting marching technique and difficult music in order to get a winning score. That benefits many members professionally.

The differences between the 110 and DCI are numerous, including music selection and marching technique.

“Drum corps is faster, with more advanced and difficult music,” said Jonathan Pyrak, a sophomore studying music education. “It takes up a lot more time, has a much greater emphasis on playing well and marching perfectly. The 110 uses a high step, plays show tunes, and focuses on having fun and helping its audience have fun.”

Marx and Martin both currently march in the 110. Pyrak, who played timpani for the Glassmen, participated in the 110 for two years, but he quit this year for personal reasons.

Adam Swan, a fifth-year student studying music education, also participated in the 110 for two years, but now he exclusively marches with the Cadets.

“This year was a lot of fun, because I knew I was

running with the big dogs,” said Swan, who plays snare drum. “Our band was as good and had just as good of a chance as any other.”

110 members who play in DCI over the summer reap benefits from the experience and excel back at OU, Suk said.

“One of the things it does is keep them playing their instrument the whole time,” he said. “The kids I have had in corps have done really well in the 110, and they are leaders in the band and experts at marching whatever genre they might have to be filling, and they’re very good at their instrument.”

Marx, who was slated to march trumpet for the Cadets before a knee injury in the winter, learned personal lessons as well as professional when he returned to compete for the Madison Scouts this season.

“It’s hard to pick the biggest benefit (of drum corps),” Marx said. “But I would have to say it was knowing how hard I can push my mind and body to accomplish things I want to do.”

After competing everywhere from Massachusetts to Texas, drum corps headed to Indianapolis to compete at DCI World Championship finals on Aug. 11. Swan placed fourth with the Cadets, while Marx placed ninth with the Madison Scouts.

“It taught me to give everything my all,” Swan said. “If I’m going to do something, I might as well do it to the best of my ability.”

eb104010@ohiou.edu