Chelsea Bilger, left, and Kelly Lamberti, right, are sophomores on Ohio University’s women’s volleyball team. They played for the USA in China this summer as members of the U.S. Developmental Team. (Katharine Egli | Picture Editor)

Volleyball: Sophomores pair takes part in challenging set of games in China, brings new energy to US

While teammates were training and preparing in Athens this summer for the upcoming season, Chelsea Bilger and Kelly Lamberti honed their volleyball skills internationally for the U.S. Developmental Team.

Bilger and Lamberti, both sophomores, traveled to China for the Bring It Promotions/USA Volleyball Global Challenge for 13 days this summer, competing against three of the top professional teams in China.

When the developmental team began its search for players, Ohio head coach Ryan Theis was approached and felt the two Bobcats would be perfect fits to represent the country.

“The director of the tour contacted me looking for players, so I felt Chelsea and Kelly would be interested, and I expressed the offer to them,” Theis said. “I knew it would help them out and they were both thrilled with the opportunity.”

Both Bilger and Lamberti said it was a simple decision to take advantage of the opportunity.

“I was really interested when I first heard about it, because chances like this don’t come around often,” Bilger said. “My mom and I have traveled before, so being overseas was something I wanted to do again. There wasn’t much hesitation.”

Neither player had thought of or even considered playing overseas before hearing about the offer, but both knew it was something they could not let pass by. The duo had a choice to play in Italy or China but instead of splitting up, they decided it would be more fun to travel and compete together.

After the two teammates had met with their families and decided to commit to compete in the challenge with 24 other student-athletes from across the country, they embarked on their first trip, to Anaheim, Cali.

While in California, the team assembled and practiced before flying to play against China’s best.

Every day, the team woke up early to sightsee before playing matches in the evening. These matches, however, were something the pair was not accustomed to.

The Red Team, which both Bilger and Lamberti were on, lost all six matches because of the Chinese team’s fast and efficient style of play.

Despite winning just one set the entire trip, both players felt that the volleyball experience they gained will help Ohio this season.

“The serves the Chinese teams did were very challenging, but I was able to adjust,” Lamberti said. “I’m excited to put my new skills to the test.”

Theis expects Lamberti’s passing skills, which he said were already great, to be exceptional this season. He also said he can feel a new energy in the gym from both players.

When asked if they would be interested in competing internationally again, both Lamberti and Bilger said it would depend on the circumstance, but they have great interest and enjoyed traveling.

“It was a great trip, but I am so happy to be back practicing with my team again,” Bilger said. “I learned a lot during the trip, and it’s time to put this to the test for my school.”

cl027410@ohiou.edu