Lauren Genter, owner of Ancient Roots, talks to a group of people about different plants and their usefulness at her home garden in Glouster. Genter sells her homemade herbal remedies at The Farmacy, the Athens Farmers Market and the Village Bakery. (Eli Hiller | For The Post)

Athens residents recommend use of herbal remedies

With name-brand products often serving as the first choice for students suffering from stress-induced ailments, some argue the solution is not on the shelf but in the ground.

Lauren Genter, owner of Ancient Roots, recommends herbal medicine as a viable method to prevent and sometimes treat sickness.

“I like to do things that help my body first and then look for the things that need help,” Genter said of her preventative approach to maintaining health. “A lot of people skip that step.”

Genter sells her remedies at The Farmacy, the Village Bakery and the Athens Farmers Market. At the market, Genter offers advice to college students about alternative medicine that will assist them with common college health problems.

“I recommend echinacea and elderberry to students,” Genter said. “Stress lends to the preoccupation of the immune system, so that when your roommate coughs, you’re not as ready to handle it. It helps to boost your immune system to be up to par.”

Nikki Slosser, a senior studying French, said her mother’s side of the family utilizes herbal medicine, which she believes is more beneficial than allopathic, or conventional and mainstream, medicine.

“I use herbal/alternative remedies just as I would use Western medicine,” Slosser said. “Rather than take ibuprofen for a headache, I use aromatherapy. Rather than Midol, I rub menthol on me. I believe alternative medicine is good for the body, mind, heart and soul because it comes directly from the source.”

However, there are varying opinions on how homeopathic, or natural, medicine works in conjunction with or in place of allopathic medicine.

“As a rule, we’re trying to use evidence-based medicine,” said John Kemerer, medical director at Campus Care. “We’re not opposed to trying new medicines. I recommend buckwheat honey for a cough because there’s evidence it’s better than Robitussin PM.”

Kemerer said many allopathic medicines are based on herbal remedies, including Aspirin, which was originally made from willow bark.

However, he said it’s important for students to be aware of the risks of herbal alternatives.

“Just because something’s herbal doesn’t mean it’s safe,” Kemerer said. “Often, they are not regulated. You have to make sure it’s a reputable company and check consumer reports.”

He added that when students visit Campus Care, they need to inform the doctor what they’re taking in terms of alternative medicine, because it could conflict with any medication the doctor prescribes.

Genter said she believes that homeopathic and allopathic medicines can work together as a kind of continuum.

Using herbal medicine places the power to control the immune system back in the hands of the individual, she said.

“It was very empowering, and years ago, it added many dimensions to my life,” Genter said. “It adds an element of ‘Oh, I can take care of myself.’ ”

eb104010@ohiou.edu