Bobcats find success in Athens

After using the top runners on each Ohio cross country team in last weekend’s Harry Groves Invitational, this meet served as an opportunity to rest up and gain some experience for next weekend’s meet.

“It was a lower key meet in which a lot of freshman could get some experience,” coach Clay Calkins said.

Ohio competed against Marietta in a dual meet. The women participated in a 5k and the men in an 8k race.

Freshman Allison Roeth earned her first win in a Bobcat uniform with a time of 18 minutes and 35 seconds. Her teammate, Stephanie Loshbough, finished four seconds behind. The Bobcats finished with seven of the top-10 spots in the race.

“My team and I had a nice race,” Roeth said. “I felt really good in the final stretch and it feels awesome to have a win.”

The men’s cross country team also had a successful outing. Falling behind Caleb Ellis of Marietta College, the men took the next seven spots led by Matt Watts and Kurt Steinmuller.

“We have a young team and a lot of injuries, so I think we all surprised ourselves today, Steinmuller said. “We just stayed smart and picked up the speed every mile.”

Both cross country teams travel to Toledo Friday for the Toledo Bubble Buster Invitational. This invitational stands as the first meet points can be accumulated for the NCAA.

“There is going to be a lot of high caliber teams at this meet. Toledo is picked to win the MAC, so this weekend will serve as good competition for us,” Calkins said.

ks934011@ohiou.edu