Cross Country: Men's and women's teams head to Toledo for invitational

Optimism is in the eyes of Ohio coach Clay Calkins now that the Bobcats’ men’s and women’s cross country seasons are heating up. The Bobcats will travel to Ottawa Park, the stomping grounds of Toledo’s No. 18 men’s and women’s teams Friday, to square off against six nationally ranked teams across both divisions.

The top-notch competition will prove a tough season-opening test for standout Ohio junior Juli Accurso, who is fresh off a second-team All-American sophomore campaign and is tasked with leading the Bobcats this season.

“Juli is a self-motivated worker,” Calkins said. “She applies herself at all times and has exceeded all expectations since returning from a study-abroad trip in France. Her actions speak for themselves.”

On the men’s side, Calkins will look to senior Tyler Ames to lead an incredibly green group of runners, as 13 of the team’s 18 runners are of redshirt sophomore status or younger.

“I’m looking at this meet to see where we stack up next to the competition,” Calkins said. “We’re just taking it a week at a time.”

Calkins sees the women’s program as a potential national contender this season because of a good mix of experienced, returning runners such as Accurso and heralded newcomers like freshman Morgan Reichert.

“We’re hoping for the best possible results this weekend on a surface that should set up quality times,” he said.

ks934011@ohiou.edu

UP NEXT:

Toledo Bubble Buster Invitational

Toledo

6 p.m. Friday

— Ohio freshman Allison Roeth won the Ohio Invitational 5K on Sept. 15.

— The Ohio women's team finished 36th at the NCAA Championships in 2011.

— Combined, Ohio's men and women's teams have only 11 upperclassmen.