Golf: 'Cats look to rebound after first-day 16th-place finish at the Marshall Invitational

A day spent at the golf course is better than a day spent at the office. But as much as that sounds like paradise to some golfers, the Bobcats had a long day on the course.

The Ohio University men’s golf team was out on the course for the Marshall Invitational for almost 12 hours today. The Bobcats tee’d off early Monday morning and didn’t finish with the 36-hole portion until after 8 PM.

Ohio ended its 36-hole day in 16th place with a combined score of 595.

Seniors Byron Firestone and Michael Lamping carded the Bobcats’ two lowest scores after the first day of competition with a +3 and +5 respectively.

Freshman Brad Burgess finished the day +10 in his collegiate debut. Brad Lucas ended the day at +11 and Connor Coldwater rounded out the roster with a score of +14.

Virginia Tech is leading the tournament. Mikey Moyers and Trevor Cone led the Hokies in the first day of competition. Both players are -5.

Marshall, Ohio State, Western Kentucky and Xavier round out the top 5. Xavier’s Korey Ward has the lowest individual score of -7.

Ohio coach Bob Cooley and players were not immediately available for comment after today’s rounds of play.

The Bobcats have 18 more holes to improve their position on the leaderboard. The team will tee off at 8:30 this morning and finish in the afternoon.

tj790511@ohiou.edu