Erin Schwenke

Soccer: Ohio outlasts Bowling Green for sixth straight win

Ohio extended its winning streak to six games Friday with a 1-0 win against Bowling Green on a dreary night at the Falcons' Cochrane Stadium to give the Bobcats their third consecutive victory against Bowling Green and second consecutive shutout.

Ohio coach Stacy Strauss said she was proud of her team after getting its first Mid-American Conference win of the season.

“I thought that we certainly deserved the win,” she said. “We were the better team and especially in the second half we did a good job (of keeping) our composure on a very wet, rainy night.”

Despite the fact that the Bobcats had 18 shots to the Falcons’ seven in the game, Ohio only had six shots on goal.

Strauss said the team’s finishing ability needs to get better and was a bit sloppy at times Friday. She said she thought the team was a little rushed and took hasty shots when they could have played the ball through.  

Ohio scored five minutes into the game, but it was called back because of an offside call. After heading into halftime leading 8-5 in shots and the score deadlocked at zero, Ohio raced out of the gate, making the necessary adjustments in the second half.

The Bobcats got on the board 44 seconds into the half with a goal by Ohio senior forward Erin Schwenke, who missed the two previous games because of injury.

The goal, which was assisted by freshman forward Holly Harris, was Schwenke’s first of the season. Strauss said she thought Schwenke, who had two shots on goal, provided a boost for the lineup.

“She was terrific,” Strauss said. “I thought she added a spark and to watch Erin play tonight you would have never known that she had been injured and out for the last few weeks so it was really good to have her back.”

The Bobcats will make the trip to the campus of Central Michigan Sunday to take on the Chippewas for a 2:30 p.m. start.

mk277809@ohiou.edu