Sports Column: 'Bell' rivalry features history, healthy competition

Rivalries are an integral part of college football tradition, but when one team leaves the clash dormant, its history dies.

The on-and-off-again nature of Ohio’s rivalry with Marshall began in 1905 when the Thundering Herd trumped the Bobcats 6-5. After that game, the team would play only five times over the next 28 years. The rivalry then resumed for six more years in 1933 before taking a break for 11 more.

Once it picked back up in 1949, the Bobcats strung together three decades of dominance, winning 14 of their 21 meetings.

But then, once again, the rivalry laid dormant for the latter half of the 1980s and early 1990s until Marshall joined the Mid-American Conference in 1997.

Until the Thundering Herd left the MAC for Conference USA in 2004, NFL players Chad Pennington, Randy Moss and Byron Leftwich made their Battle of the Bell claims known, running the gamut on the Bobcats for seven of eight possible wins.

Following their conference change, it took until 2009 for the Bobcats to become reacquainted with their old rivals. With no trophy on the line, but a Little Caesar’s Pizza Bowl title waiting for the winner instead, Marshall got the better of Ohio in a 21-17 win.

Since, they’ve met annually.

Bobcat fans don’t have much they can hold on to in the way of tradition. The Bobkitten and Sir Winsalot are long forgotten — folklore to today’s student body.

The Ohio-Marshall rivalry should be a mainstay in Appalachia. Bobcat players said they would like to see the game become an annual contest.

“Any time you can have something else to play for, it’s always fun,” said Ohio redshirt junior quarterback Tyler Tettleton. “I think it’s going to be an every-year tradition now, from what I’ve heard.”

Ohio embarrassed Marshall last year with a 44-7 drubbing while wearing their now-famous black jerseys. The Thundering Herd will have their chance at revenge, though, as the series is set to continue through the 2015 season.

Unlike Ohio’s rivalry with Miami, which has become a mudslinging duel in which both sides hurl stereotypes at each other, each season’s Marshall game seems like good, clean fun.

There’s nothing wrong with a hearty share of good-natured respect, which is what both teams bring to the table.

That’s what a rivalry should be all about. It should be played for the right reason: to ring the bell.

Nick Robbe is a senior studying journalism and Sports Editor of The Post. If you think the Ohio vs. Marshall rivalry should be a time-honored tradition, contact him at nr225008@ohiou.edu.