Jeff McGowan (right) Via run ohio

Upcoming races pay tribute to late Ohio alumnus

Two benefit races will be held this fall in Columbus and Circleville to commemorate the life of recently deceased Ohio University graduate Jeff McGowan.

McGowan graduated from Ohio in 1990 after he set school records in high school track and cross country, and participated in the track and cross country programs during his freshman year.

Jeff was diagnosed with aortic dissection and was admitted to the hospital the first week of September 2011.

Aortic dissection is a condition in which the walls of the aorta separate and can lead to bleeding into the wall of the aorta.

After four months of medicine and bed rest, the doctors found that the aortic dissection had increased, and multiple surgeries would be necessary to treat the tear. One such operation, which doctors had estimated to take six hours, took fourteen.

“I was called in to the hospital from my job because they thought he wouldn’t make it through the surgeries,” brother Matt McGowan said. “The doctors met with our family twice during the operations to say that things didn’t look good.”

Jeff was sedated for four days following the surgery. On the fifth day he was able to respond to voices, and after the eighth he was able to get out of bed and walk some. After two weeks, he was released from the hospital.

Jeff died in his home on the morning of May 26. An autopsy determined that his death was because of a blood clot.

Matt said that although Jeff’s death came unexpectedly, the hospital staff did all that they could to assist him.

“His death was a surprise and was tough to handle, but the surgeons busted their tails off to try and help him get better,” McGowan said.

Before attending Ohio, McGowan was recognized in Circleville for his performances in track and cross country at Circleville High School, setting records in the 2.5 mile and 5km cross country events as well as the 800, 1600, and 3200 meter events in track. As a senior, McGowan placed third in the Ohio High School Athletic Association Cross Country Championships and was second in the 800 and 1600 meters races at the OHSAA State Track and Field Championships.

The Shamrock Club of Columbus, an Irish heritage center with which Jeff was an active member, will host the first race on Saturday, Sept. 15.

John Connor, president of the Shamrock Club, believes that the club should hold the race in Jeff’s name, and that the benefits from the race should be used to help students that share Jeff’s love of track and field.

“As President, it was my belief that we should hold the 5K race once again and make it a memorial to the memory of Jeff McGowan,” Connor said. “The recipient will be a student or students who participate in track and field but who must do so on a pay to play basis.”

Circleville High School will host the second race, which will take place at the high school on Saturday, Oct. 20.

jd202409@ohiou.edu