Ohio running back Beau Blankenship is tackled during Ohio's game against the University of Massachusetts at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Mass. Ohio defeated UMass 37-34 on Sept. 29. The 'Cats look to uphold their perfect record this weekend against the Buffalo Bulls. (Brien Vincent | Staff Photographer)

Football: Bobcat back in action after injury

Ohio coach Frank Solich’s knowledge of the running back position dates back to his playing days, when he was featured as a bruising back for Nebraska.

The Bobcats have reflected his pedigree this season, as they are second in the Mid-American Conference in running yards, averaging 224 per game.

Ohio (5-0, 1-0 MAC) redshirt junior running back Beau Blankenship has run for 757 yards on 156 carries, and Solich said that he is the type of back who can run every down and show little effect of the extra workload.

“No one can argue with his productivity, his toughness, or his ability to get tough yards,” Solich said. “It’s not rare to find players (who want the workload). It’s rare for them to hold up. I’ve never known a running back that doesn’t want 100 carries in a game, but they can’t hold up health-wise.”

Blankenship has shouldered the burden mainly because redshirt junior Ryan Boykin injured his hamstring in the season-opener against Penn State, in which he had three carries for nine yards. He has not been healthy since. As a result, what little backup backfield duties the Bobcats need have fallen to freshman Daz’mond Patterson.

Now that Boykin is 100 percent healthy, Ohio offensive coordinator Tim Albin has more tools to utilize and will be able to alleviate the strain Blankenship has endured this season.

“It feels good to come in and relieve him when he needs it because 43 carries is a lot, and I don’t know of anyone in the country who can keep up that pounding week-to-week,” Boykin said. “My leg kept me out for a long time, but there is no better feeling than coming and knowing that you are 100 percent and can play again.”

Boykin doesn’t have much time to regain his legs, as he will be running against a tenacious defense.

The Bulls (1-3) prominently feature a hybrid-linebacker and last year’s MAC defensive player of the year in junior Khalil Mack.

Albin said Mack is the kind of player who has the ability to impose his will on opponents, and statistics back him up. Mack leads the MAC with 11 tackles for loss and 4.5 sacks in three games played this season.

“He is a special guy,” Albin said. “We haven’t seen a guy like him on defense since maybe Virginia Tech five years ago. He is by far the best defensive player in the MAC and is probably a top-10 (draft) pick if he keeps progressing.”

Albin said that Ohio’s offense needs to know where Mack is at all times, which could prove easier said than done. But Boykin is ready to shake off the rust and prepare the Bobcats for a more varied running attack.

“They’re a good team; they’re battle-tested and they’ve got some kids that can play,” Boykin said of the Bulls. “I am looking forward to going out there and competing with these guys.”    

nr225008@ohiou.edu