Hockey: Ohio's on- and off-ice chemistry contributes to success

The Bobcats look to show the Liberty Flames which team is really on fire when Ohio’s undefeated squad travels to the LaHaye Ice Center this weekend.

For the third consecutive week, the teams that crowd the top of the American Collegiate Hockey Association’s rankings will have all eyes on the Bobcats.

“I think when you always have the number one spot, you always have a target on your back,” assistant coach Jonathon Sheridan said.

Since Ohio (10-0) was initially ranked first in the ACHA after Week Two’s shutout of the Pittsburgh Panthers, the Bobcats have had little difficulty maintaining the top spot.

Ohio coach Dan Morris said that though this might be subject to change as the team faces more of the adversity that comes with playing on the road, the title serves motivational purposes on the ice.

“Now as we get deeper into the schedule, we’ll start to see teams sort out a bit,” Morris said. “But the top ranking pushes us to want to stay on top.”

Ohio’s tenure as the conference’s best is a new experience for many of its players. This time last season, the Bobcats 6-1 record ranked behind Lindenwood and then top-seeded Penn State.

Penn State has since moved to the Division I level, while Lindenwood’s record of 1-3-2 buries it farther down this season’s rankings in a tie for eighth with the Liberty squad that Ohio travels to Lynchburg, Va. to face this weekend.

Although Liberty started off the season with an 8-0 start, the Flames (8-5) have been unable to maintain their winning streak, losing their last five matches. Since beginning its season on September 7, Liberty has scored 82 goals — 23 coming from a weekend series with Robert Morris University — and given up 43.

Ohio junior forward Zander Dover, in his second year with the team, said the team’s chemistry around the rink has helped changed the complexion of the team from what he’s experienced in past seasons.

“Everyone gets along well, and we all work together,” Dover said. “It’s been a completely different atmosphere on and off the ice this season than I’ve seen since being here.”

Freshman defenseman Derek Rahme echoed his veteran teammate, adding that he felt the team would impress from the start.

“Playing here feels great,” Rahme said. “This team has such a great history of winning that I knew we would have a strong team."

jd202409@ohiou.edu