Post Endorsement: Issue 2 an important step for Ohio democracy

A “winner-take-all” mentality is appropriate when pursuing victory in sport, but it belongs nowhere in a representative democracy.

Following the most recent redistricting spree Ohio has undergone, such is the mentality of the majority party in state legislature. Regardless of political views, preserving those beliefs by way of securing votes will always be a priority, but it will always be an inappropriate form of politics in the United States.

The Post’s executive editors urge voters to vote “Yes” on Issue 2.

The issue will reform the way legislative boundaries are drawn. The potential for gerrymandered districts has no place in this process, which occurs every 10 years.

One common argument against Issue 2 is that the non-partisan commission that would take over the boundary-drawing responsibilities would have the potential to spend an unspecific amount of money doing so. However, the issue’s language states the following: “The General Assembly shall make appropriations necessary to adequately fund the activities of the commission.”

“Adequately” funding a commission that makes votes count and ensures that our representative democracy is, in fact, representative sits better with us than living through a system that allows a state’s party to gain a majority and then begin setting up districts in its favor — a practice that has developed on both sides and would continue to encourage such behavior on both sides until the matter be resolved.

We believe this is a step toward resolving that matter. We believe this is a step toward making policy reflect public opinion. We believe this is a step toward making votes more valuable in Ohio.

Endorsements represent the majority opinion of The Post’s executive editors.