Provost visits dining hall for conversations with students

Diners at Nelson Dining Hall will have the opportunity to speak with a member of Ohio University administration Thursday night.

Pam Benoit, executive vice president and provost, will be visiting Nelson as part of Student Senate’s “Dinner with the Provost,” from 6 to 8 p.m., to increase communication between students and OU administration, said Mary Kate Gallagher, senate’s university life commissioner.

“It’s a good opportunity for folks to ask her about her background, what she does as the provost, (and) academic issues that she thinks are crucially important to her,” said Ann Fidler, chief of staff for the provost and chief financial officer.

Benoit, accompanied by eight senators, will walk around the dining hall, stopping at tables to talk with students, Gallagher said.

Senate will provide question cards to diners as a way to spark conversations with suggested topics for discussion, such as the provost’s duties, keeping tuition affordable and OU’s academic quality, Gallagher said.

“(The goal is) to empower students to realize that these administrators are people too,” Gallagher said.  “If you have problems, you can go talk to them.”

One OU student believes that the dinner is a good preliminary event for discussion, but many upperclassmen will be left out.

“It’s only really freshmen and sophomores there,” said Andrea Jenigar, a sophomore studying English and education.

Students who cannot attend the event are encouraged to attend senate the next time Benoit visits, which has not yet been scheduled, Fidler said.

Senate is currently planning future dining events with other OU administrators, including President Roderick McDavis, Gallagher said.

bl171210@ohiou.edu