Despite not recording a goal this season, sophomore midfielder Tonya Frasik has been a vital member of the Bobcats’ offense off the bench. (Jason Chow I Staff Photographer)

Soccer: Sophomore forward brings intensity despite stats

The stat line for Ohio sophomore midfielder Tonya Frasik will not grab most people’s attention. In 12 games, she’s taken 12 shots, four of which were on goal.

What the stat line doesn’t take into account is speed and toughness, something Frasik brings to every game.

Frasik played midfielder at Ohio Dominican and made the switch to forward at Ohio. She said the transition from midfielder to forward has been challenging, but she has managed, even if the ball has not reached the back of the net.

“It’s frustrating; everyone jokes around that it’s your game, it’s your time to finally get one in so it’ll come,” Frasik said. “I used to be a playmaker, so I’ve never had a lot of goals in the past, so it’s definitely going to be a turnaround with being a forward and trying to score,” Frasik said. “I’m just going to keep working at it.”

Frasik transferred to Ohio after spending last year with Ohio Dominican, a Division II team.  She recorded one goal on the season for the Panthers.

She transferred because she said she was unhappy with her situation and felt she could do better for herself.

This year, Frasik has played predominantly off the bench but provides a spark for the team when she steps on the pitch. Ohio junior midfielder and fellow transfer Maggie Murnane said Frasik excels when she enters the pitch.

“Tonya is awesome,” Murnane said. “She is a great person to come off our bench, and she just kicks the game a notch up.”

Ohio senior midfielder Cat Rogers classified Frasik as a little Energizer Bunny because she runs at defenses constantly. She said Frasik’s presence increases the team’s intensity.

“I think she’s a great addition to our team this year, we got really lucky bringing her in,” Rogers said. “She’s fit in immediately on and off the field.”

Frasik said her biggest attributes are her ability to confuse defenses and keep players off balance with her speed and toughness from the time she enters the pitch.  

Ohio coach Stacy Strauss said she has confidence without being cocky. She said she is a perfect example of someone who wouldn’t give up and has achieved success.  Strauss said she has not had a player like her in a while off the bench.

“As a coach and as a person, a story like hers is pretty inspiring,” Strauss said. “I think if she can continue to get better at the rate at which she has done so since she’s been here, then she’s got a very bright future.”

mk277809@ohiou.edu