Morgan Srail looks to the judges to check her score after a dive during the meet against the Eastern Michigan Eagles. (Katharine Egli | Picture Editor)

Swimming and Diving: Bobcats keep spirits high despite first meet defeat

As Hurricane Sandy puts a definite ending to the season’s warm temperatures and the calendar is about to hit November, Ohio’s swimming and diving season is in full swing.

The team’s 25 swimmers, who are under the direction of coach Greg Werner, have once again established the goal of winning a Mid-American Conference title.

“We want to win every year,” Werner said. “That is what our program is striving for.”

The Bobcats came close last season, placing only 23 points behind MAC champion Toledo in the conference championships.

“Being so close is added motivation for this year,” Werner said.

The Bobcats started their 2012-2013 campaign Saturday with a 168-132 loss to Eastern Michigan. Senior Lauren Funk said the defeat was a disappointment, but a building block for future meets.

“I am not afraid about (winning the MAC title,)” she said. “We are not at our best yet. We are just going to wait and see what happens at the MAC championships this March.”

The feeling is unanimous in the Bobcats’ locker room.

“We will work hard to get the MAC championship,” junior co-captain Laurin Williams said.

With the exception of Rachel Harrington, who transferred to Florida State, Ohio returned everyone from last year’s roster.

In addition, Williams placed 23rd in the 1650-yard freestyle at the NCAA Championships last year. Funk also placed 79th in the 50-yard freestyle at the U.S. Olympic Trials this year while competing against some of the nation’s best.

Furthermore, divers Haleigh Bartlett and Morgan Srail, both sophomores, Kristin Capcik, a junior, and MaryRose Hillstrom, a redshirt junior, all return this season after having competed at nationals last year.  

The divers might be the edge Ohio needs in close dual meets, which was seen Saturday when they were able to close the gap between Ohio and Eastern Michigan halfway through the meet by winning the three-meter diving competition.

Ohio’s freshmen class has a lot of potential to offer the squad as well. Each of the Bobcats’ newcomers has competed in state championship meets at least twice, while Haley Clark and Ariel Hodges are previous state champions.

The pressure to try winning a MAC championship in their first year does not seem to affect the freshman class.

“You have pressure in every program, so this is just normal,” freshman Addison Ferguson said.

Injuries may slow the Bobcats down this season, keeping the team from reaching full force. Werner said Ohio has experienced early injuries this season, but that they shouldn’t hamper the team in the long-term.

“But this is part of every program in the MAC,” he said. “I am sure other teams have the same problems.”

With the conference championship not being held until the beginning of March, the Bobcats’ focus lies on upcoming nonconference dual meets.

Although the Bobcats’ focus is set on the upcoming nonconference bouts that precede MAC meets, Funk said she has visions of the conference tournament on the backburner as motivation for success.

“This is my last year,” she said. “I want to win.”

am794811@ohiou.edu