Basketball: 'Cats meet high expectations with 40-point win

Saturday’s win against Division II Mercyhurst College was impressive in the respect that Ohio almost doubled the Lakers’ shooting percentage and points scored.

The Bobcats looked increasingly comfortable in their home, stretching their lead to 82-42 by the sound of the final buzzer.

The wide margin win felt good, but putting it in perspective is more important than the outcome, redshirt senior guard Walter Offutt said.

“We obviously won by 40 points, but we have bigger goals than to beat Mercyhurst,” he said.

Those goals, he later explained, start with winning a  Mid-American Conference regular season title — something Ohio hasn’t done since the 1993-1994 season — and making a run at the NCAA Tournament.

Although Offutt said this season seems like “something new” compared to the Bobcats’ NCAA Tournament run last season, looming on Ohio’s calendar is the raising of a Sweet 16 banner in The Convo, which will be an ever-present reminder that this year’s expectations are as high as the rafters from which it hangs. 

After surrendering what coach Jim Christian called an “alarming” 12 turnovers in the opening half Saturday, Ohio settled in, pulled away and got down to business — finishing plays and draining threes like there was never such a thing as an offseason. It made only four turnovers after the break. Christian said the Bobcats’ goal is to commit 12 or less each game.

“I’m always going to be more concerned with the response than the action,” he said, of Ohio’s turnovers.

The Bobcats’ second half soundness can be partially attributed to an increased post presence from senior forwards Reggie Keely and Ivo Baltic, who spent more productive time in the paint during the game’s second stanza.

Keely was also perfect in seven attempts from the charity stripe. He hit only 69 percent of his free throws last season.

“(Keely has) a valuable role because of our interior players, he’s the guy most likely to get somebody in foul trouble because he wants the ball down there,” Christian said. “In the first half I thought we did a really bad job as post people of trying to get the ball two, three feet from the rim where you can make plays.”

Junior guard Nick Kellogg was the Bobcats’ most efficient player, setting up shop on the perimeter for 19 points on five-of-seven shooting from beyond the arc.     Although he carried the brunt of the load for the Bobcats, Kellogg said he is comfortable with whatever role he is cast into this season.

“If I’m open, I’m going to shoot it,” he said, laughing. “So I don’t know if that means my role is increased, but my teammates and my coaches have confidence in me to shoot the ball.”

Senior guard D.J. Cooper put up only five shots Saturday, finishing with seven points. He made his presence on the stat sheet known, though, by racking up nine assists and four steals.

“When we’re at our best he is going to be able to create a lot of plays for people on the court as well as himself,” Christian said.

Those plays will be a product of a renewed sense of urgency and purpose among Ohio players.

“I think if we learn to accept that role the sky is the limit for us and we’re going to be where we are with a chance to go to the Elite Eight like we did last time,” Offutt said.

The banner will be there as a reminder.

jr992810@ohiou.edu