BedPost: Pornography arouses both genders

A couple of my gal pals and I were chatting about porn the other day and how girls don’t watch it. None of us have ever watched any sort of porn, but I’m (and I think they are, too) kind of curious about it now. Do girls usually watch porn? Is there special porn for girls?

There is special porn out there for women.

It’s called The Notebook, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, A Walk to Remember, When Harry Met Sally — the beat goes on and on.

I saw a male speaker ranting about this a few years back. He went on and on about the pressure chick flicks put on men, coining them “porn for women.” His point is one I am sure you and your girlfriends also reversed when chit-chatting about pornographic videos and pictures more commonly used by men.

Let me first clarify: Women watch porn, too. It is not weird or uncommon.

Although males are more visual, porn also arouses women. It is all about individual preferences.

There is a porn market for women not made in Hollywood, but most of the sensual material out there is geared toward men. Porn isn’t about finding pleasure without a partner or being unsatisfied; it’s about adventuring with sexuality.

One site called x-art caters to females. It has beautiful people getting it on in arousing ways. The men and women are not the typical bimbo/manbo couples grunting away; minimally exposed but still sexy women are shown with men who are more Dr. Dreamy than Magic Mike.

Women get aroused differently. Think about the sex toy industry: Most male sex toys give the same sensation; for women, there are a slew of sensations, tingles and vibrations.

Both sexes are equally sexual, but biologically, women need more of a connection from sex, according to CNN Health.

Men are always physically and psychologically engaged, and simple stimulation causes arousal; women can get aroused physically but can be somewhere else mentally.

So of course porn stirs different reactions in the two sexes.

Women are different than men — in many, many ways — but exploring sexuality is common ground for everyone.

Steph Doan is a senior studying journalism. Ask her your love, sex and relationship questions at thebedpostpeople@gmail.com.