PROVIDED

Chocolatier shuts down Uptown store

Athens’ chocolate lovers might have to work a little harder to get their fix after O’Chocolate closes shop, but rest assured; the shop’s chocolatier will continue creating her confections.

Fewer than 10 months after the shop opened at 5 N. Court St., owner Stacy Peters said O’Chocolate will close Tuesday so she can focus on increasing production in her own kitchen and selling the bars through other existing stores.

“I didn’t necessarily have this big dream of owning a retail location in a small town,” Peters said. “Because our demand for chocolate bars has gone through the roof since we opened, I can’t meet the demand while also taking care of my store.”

The homemade, fair-trade chocolate bars use local ingredients and are currently sold in seven Athens and Columbus stores. Peters said she hopes to expand to stores in Cleveland and Cincinnati in the future.

Each store determines the pricing of the chocolate bars, which currently sell for about $6 each.

The store was primarily opened to sell Peters’ truffles because they have a short shelf life, and Peters said she wouldn’t want to sell them in stores, except during holidays.

With the store closing, Peters’ truffles will be available only from Village Bakery & Café, which has been selling them for about two years, said Bob O’Neil, co-owner of the bakery.

“I imagine a lot of (Stacy’s) fans will continue to seek out her chocolates and make their way from Uptown to our location,” O’Neil said. “O’Chocolate has a great future ahead of itself.”

In addition to focusing on the six current bar flavors, Peters said she is excited about the creation of two varieties: the 614 Bar and the Athens Passion Works Bar — both featuring local ingredients and local artists.

Jane Balbo, OU assistant professor of family medicine and frequent O’Chocolate customer, said she is disappointed about the store closing but wishes Peters the best of luck.

“Stacy will be successful, because she makes really good products and does a great job with taste and balance,” Balbo said. “I am, though, going to miss my weekly after-lunch dessert trips to O’Chocolate.”

sl642509@ohiou.edu