Ohio running back Beau Blankenship, 22, runs the ball past a Bowling Green State University player at Peden Stadium. Ohio lost to the Falcons 26-14 on Nov. 7. (Brien Vincent | Staff Photographer)

Football: Offensive mentality up next

It is often said that birds of a feather flock together, meaning that like-minded individuals share common ambitions. Ball State is the latest team invested in dealing Ohio a loss.

Wednesday’s game will likely be an outpouring of offense, as both teams feature top-tier attacks that average more than 33 points per game. Thus, the ball will be changing hands rapidly and special teams play — an area in which Ohio faltered Wednesday against Bowling Green — is key.

“We think those adjustments will be of help,” Ohio coach Frank Solich said. “We have to snap the ball well. We have to catch the ball. And if we do those two things, I will feel much more comfortable with what we are doing in the punting game.”

Ohio’s punting game needs to be on-point in turning the field over and giving the defense a chance to limit the Cardinals’ offense, which is led by junior quarterback Keith Wenning.

Wenning is one of the Mid-American Conference’s most efficient passers. He has completed 65 percent of his passes and has thrown for 20 touchdowns this season. He is interception prone, though, as he has 10 picks on the year.

He also has plenty of weapons to distribute the ball to. Sophomore running back Jahwan Edwards averages more than 100 yards per game, and sophomore wide receiver Willie Snead is the conference’s leading receiver and gains an average of 13 yards every time he touches the ball.

“With any quarterback, if you can get pressure and cause him discomfort and throw him off, it’s huge,” said redshirt senior defensive lineman Corey Hasting.

“As a (defensive) line, we have to start dominating and put the game away.”

The Bobcats will be without the services of redshirt junior running back Ryan Boykin, who sustained a season-ending knee injury last week against Bowling Green. Freshman running back Daz’mond Patterson, who has been Ohio’s primary kickoff returner this season, is now second on the backfield depth chart.

“Man down, man up — that’s been our mentality this season,” offensive coordinator Tim Albin said. “I have no problems with Daz’ coming in at any given time. I have total confidence that he can come in and contribute to offense.”

Redshirt junior running back Beau Blankenship will continue to shoulder the bulk of Ohio’s backfield load, but Ablin said if the offense runs about 85 plays, Patterson will be in the game for about 30 of them. He also said that Patterson should see screen passes out of the backfield on several occasions — giving him room to run.

Ball State has been victorious in its last four games, the first of which was an overtime win against Western Michigan in week seven.

“We’ve always felt that games in the MAC should be fourth-quarter ball games,” Solich said. “We have to be on top of our game down the stretch in order to win it. You have to have a mindset in order to finish things off.”

nr225008@ohiou.edu