Ohio redshirt junior quarterback Tyler Tettleton tries to elude a Bowling Green defender's clutches during the Bobcats' 26-14 lost to the Falcons. Ohio no longer controls its own destiny in the Mid-American Conference. (Jason Chow | Staff Photographer)

Football: Special teams woes spoil Senior Night

Ohio’s winningest class said its goodbyes to a dismal contingent of remaining home fans Wednesday, capping a disappointing loss with a dreary rendition of Alma Mater, Ohio.

The Bobcats were plagued primarily by special teams blunders in their 26-14 loss to Bowling Green, allowing a pair of blocked punts, another two mishandled snaps and a botched punt return.

Heading into the game, Ohio (8-2, 4-2 Mid-American Conference) was in control of its conference fate. Largely because of the blunders, that is no longer the reality. It will need a host of help from its previous MAC East foes.

“Field position like we were giving up — that’s disheartening for everybody on the sideline,” said Ohio coach Frank Solich. “But in this game you’re going to have those kinds of things happen to you, you just hope they don’t happen as often as they did tonight.”

Ohio began the game on a positive note, posting a touchdown on its first drive — a 72-yarder in which redshirt junior quarterback Tyler Tettleton took the Bobcats’ seventh-straight rushing play to the end zone for a score.

The Bobcats’ defense brought the heat early as well, forcing the Falcons to a three-and-out on their first drive.

On a third-and-five from Bowling Green’s 18-yard line, redshirt junior quarterback Matt Schilz dropped back to pass, faced pressure and tossed up a pass toward an outside target. Ohio redshirt senior defensive lineman Neal Huynh got a hand on the ball, though, tipping it straight into the air, where Schilz hauled it in for an eight-yard loss.

Bowling Green (7-3, 5-1 Mid-American Conference) gained its only first down of the quarter on its next drive, but was unable to mount much of an attack.

Ohio, on the other hand, had six first downs in the opening quarter, compared to the Falcons’ single surge.

Inefficiencies on Ohio’s final play of the first quarter — a punt — led to Bowling Green’s first score of the game. The Bobcats’ blocking unit failed redshirt freshman punter Grant Venham, whose attempt from deep in his own territory was blocked, rolling out of bounds at the Bobcats’ 20-yard line.

It took only four plays for the Falcons to make good of the mishap, as sophomore running back Anthon Samuel hauled a host of Bobcats into the end zone from 15 yards out for Bowling Green’s first touchdown.

“You have to elevate your game over mistakes,” Solich said.

The Falcons were the next to strike, on what may have been the flashiest play seen at Peden Stadium this season.

Schilz pump faked, made a handoff motion, drew it back, then faked a backfield bump to senior running back John Pettigrew, only to loft a floater to redshirt freshman Chris Gallon well downfield. By the time Pettigrew had made his way to his feet after being hit hard on the play, Gallon had waltzed his way into the end zone.

The Falcons led 14-7 with less than eight minutes remaining in the opening half.

Ohio gained only nine yards on its ensuing drive, but its lack of offensive production was not what plagued the drive. Venham was back to punt in a fourth-and-18 situation when he mishandled the snap, scrambled and was subsequently tackled for a turnover on downs.

The Falcons were unable to find the end zone, but settled for a 35-yard field goal that set them ahead 17-7 with 1:26 remaining in the half.

They weren’t done, though, despite the little time left before halftime.

After a 10-yard sack and pair of completions, the Bobcats were faced with another punt situation — this time from their 22-yard line.

But instead of bringing on Venham, as he had in every game so far this season, Solich summoned Ohio redshirt senior kicker Matt Weller — who had not attempted a punt in his career — from the sideline to boot the ball away.

The ball slipped through Weller’s hands and toward the end zone, where he was tackled for a safety.

“When you’re having the kind of problems we were having, it makes sense to me to give Matt a try,” Solich said, noting that the snap to Weller was low. (He’s) a veteran player that has been in pressure situations before.”

The Bobcats’ lone substantial drive of the third quarter came sandwiched between a pair of special teams slip-ups — first a botched punt return on its 15-yard line and a blocked punt five yards further upfield.

Four runs of nine yards or longer defined Ohio’s 95-yard scoring drive, which was capped by a three-yard touchdown throw from Tettleton to redshirt sophomore wide receiver Chase Cochran.

On the first play of the fourth quarter, the Falcons’ Samuel countered with a four-yard rushing touchdown, making good of a seven-play, 29-yard drive and bringing the score to 26-14.

From there, it was all tug and pull, as neither team mounted a fruitful drive.

Ohio finished the game paced only 44 yards behind its opponent, but the offense was far from efficient — pulling together only two surmountable drives, on which it scored.

Blankenship rushed for 97 yards on 18 attempts, while redshirt junior running back Ryan Boykin took his 10 carries for 29 yards.

Tettleton was sacked four times and completed 21 of his 34 passes for 145 yards and a touchdown. His most explosive play was a 15-yard pass to redshirt junior wide receiver Donte Foster on the game’s first play from scrimmage.

“There’s only two ways to go: either you don’t practice well and don’t play well and you go into a tailspin at the end, or you battle yourself out of it,” Solich said. “I’d like to believe we have the kind of players that will battle themselves out of it.”

jr992810@ohiou.edu