Halloween themed Student Senate discuss surveys, trustee voting

Witches escaped Hogwarts, memes came to life and Justin Bieber visited the body “One Time” at Wednesday’s Halloween-themed Student Senate meeting. 

Senators celebrated Halloween as they passed a resolution supporting student trustee voting rights and discussed a campus-wide survey.

Senate President Zach George, dressed as a “sugar daddy,” presented about the senate tuition survey released earlier this week that asked students for their thoughts on the increased tuition.

In the past 24 hours, Senate received 200 responses, which brings them closer to their goal of 1,000, George said. 

All OU students are encouraged to complete the survey, and those who participate are eligible to win a $75 Chipotle gift card.  Data collection will end on Dec. 14, he said. 

The information, containing responses about student loan debt and willingness to pay more, will be sent to university officials such as President Roderick McDavis and interim Vice President Ryan Lombardi, George said.

Senate then “flew” on to unanimously pass a resolution in support of Student Trustee voting rights.

George said he believes the current Board of Trustees listens to student voices, but wants to ensure this courtesy is extended to future students.

“I am a big believer that if you don’t vote, you don’t matter,” he said, encouraging what he called a proactive measure. 

At the end of the meeting, Lombardi made two announcements.  The first was an invitation to join a student-only group that will make recommendations to improve Ping Center. 

“We want no staff a part of this conversation,” he said. 

Lombardi also announced plans to renovate the third floor of Hudson Health Center, finishing the restoration of the building. 

The project will begin over winter break, and Counseling and Psychological Services may be relocated at that time, he said. 

The Student Appropriations Commission budget is $157,097 and senate’s budget is $20,340.07.

bl171210@ohiou.edu