Mens Basketball: Multi-talented Ndour joins Bobcats

Ohio basketball recently received four National Letters of Intent. The 2013 recruiting class includes D.J. Wingfield, Maurice Ndour, Wadley Mompremier and Antonio Campbell.

However, none may be as intriguing as Ndour from Monroe College for his skills outside of basketball. He is a native of Senegal and speaks five different languages, which include French, Japanese, English and two native languages from his home country of Africa.

He went to high school in Japan and became fluent in Japanese after six months of working with a tutor everyday. Ndour even won a speaking competition in Japanese for speaking proficiency by a foreigner.

The 6’8” 200 pound forward received offers from Cincinnati, Providence and St. Johns. As a member of the Mustangs last year, Ndour averaged nine points per game.

In a Nov. 12 game against Snow College, current Bobcat Travis Wilkins former school, Ndour had 26 points and nine rebounds.

His coach Jeff Brustad said Ndour chose Ohio over other bigger schools because he felt comfortable with the coaching staff.

“He was comfortable with the level of play and obviously the success that Ohio had last year going to the sweet 16 it was all about the fit,” Brustad said. “He felt comfortable in all aspects, enjoyed his visit and feels like it’s the right spot for him.”

Brustad said Ohio is getting an excellent player and person in Maurice adding that Ndour is one of the most popular kids on campus.

“Well first of all you’re getting a great kid,” Brustad said. “He’s very worldly and accommodating to all cultures and aspects of programs. “He’s my most vocal guy, my most hard working guy. His work ethic is second to none, on top of that you get a kid that wants to get better.”

Brustad said Ndour is a multiple position player that handles the ball well, can block shots and run the floor and that Maurice’s work ethic and ability will be a nice piece for Ohio’s future.

Ndour said he felt comfortable with the coaching staff and the team has a lot of experience from last year’s season, which played a factor in his decision.

“It affected me a lot,” Ndour said. “Their a mid major in the MAC and that’s not a high major but still I think they played very well last year and they went to the Sweet 16 and not many teams go to the Sweet 16.”

Ndour is coming to the Bobcats as a junior and said he is going to make the most of his chance at Ohio and bring a lot of energy to the court.

“I’ve only got two years left so I think that going to Ohio, I better dominate,” Ndour said.

He is relieved that the process of signing is over and is very excited to take his game to the next level. However, before he can do that he said he wants to win a Junior College National Championship.

mk277809@ohiou.edu