Political experience hinges Ohio House seat

Incumbent Debbie Phillips, D-92nd, will be facing Republican challenger Charles Richter for the newly redrawn 94th seat of the Ohio House of Representatives in Tuesday’s election.

Phillips has served two terms in the Ohio House and is a former 4th Ward Councilwoman for Athens City Council.

Richter, from Johnstown, has never held public office before, but decided to run because of what he said is a lack of economic responsibility in government.

“If you don’t do anything, you can’t complain,” Richter said.

Phillips said if she is re-elected she will focus on job creation and funding for education throughout the state.

“We don’t currently have state (education) funding. It is important because education is how our state is going to grow,” she said.

Richter said he supports fracking and thinks it will create job opportunities in the state.

“There is a lot of opportunity if we do it right,” he said, adding he would focus on strict regulation on injections wells.

Phillips agreed that fracking regulations are needed, but did not say if she supports fracking or not.

Though Phillips has more political experience, Richter said that his lack of political experience makes him more qualified for the position.

“I have a diverse background in business and banking,” Richter said. “Phillips has only been a city councilor and house representative. She is a career politician.”

Richter said he has operated his own small business for 12 years and has worked in banking and accounting.

ml147009@ohiou.edu