Joseph Van Hassel performs as a part of the Hartt Graduate Percussion Group (via Stephanie Crandall).

Visiting professor explores unusual percussion tactics

In a book-rimmed office, several percussionists accompany Joseph Van Hassel, a visiting professor of percussion who is using his semester-long tenure at Ohio University to share his knowledge of different percussion techniques and compositions.

Van Hassel, who lists utilizing unique percussion techniques as a “main passion,” is temporarily replacing Rognuser Braun, professor and director of percussion studies, who is taking a sabbatical for the fall semester.

A 2006 OU alumnus with a degree in music performance, Van Hassel also has a master’s degree in percussion performance from the University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music, and is a doctoral candidate at the Hartt School of Music at the University of Hartford.

“It is a little bit surreal being back here after six years … just because I am on the other side,” Van Hassel said about teaching at OU for the fall semester. “Some things are very, very different because you’re seeing it from a different perspective.”

Seth Alexander, a freshman percussionist studying music performance, spoke about how the work ethic Van Hassel expressed toward music left an impression on his musical views.

“When he is not playing or recording, he is researching music,” Alexander said. “It shows how much of a hard worker he is.”

At Tuesday’s recital, Van Hassel said he not only wants to expose people to new music, but also introduce “extended techniques,” which are achieved when percussion instruments — such as the snare drum, drum set, timpani, vibraphone and marimba — are played untraditionally.

A composition written by Van Hassel’s brother, Dan Van Hassel, utilizes an extended technique into Joseph’s performance using a snare drum and a microphone.

The piece, titled “Fizzle,” runs the sounds from the snare drum through a microphone that is connected to a computer. The technique results in electronic textured sounds each time the drum is struck.

Van Hassel added that by teaching and performing pieces outside of the mainstream percussion canon of music, he is filling a niche that he created, which is something he said is important for any musician.

“It is part of his passion,” said Eric Paton, a graduate student studying music performance at OU and professor at Capital University. “His passion in unearthing and performing new works is inspiring.”

ds834910@ohiou.edu

IF YOU GO:

WHAT: Faculty Recital –– Visiting Professor of Percussion Studies: Joseph Van Hassel

WHEN: 8 p.m. Tuesday

WHERE: School of Music Recital Hall

ADMISSION: Free