Ohio outside hitter Faith Robbins records a kill past Miami middle hitter Kayleigh Cox as the Bobcats defeat the Miami RedHawks at The Convo. Ohio won with a score of 3-1 on Oct. 26 and will take on Buffalo and Akron this weekend. (Daniel Kubus | For The Post)

Volleyball: Ohio hopes to 'bounce back' from loss that ended 12-game winning streak during matches against Bulls, Zips

Set to hit the road again for the final weekend of play before the Mid-American Conference tournament, Ohio will attempt to hold on to the top spot in the conference.

The Bobcats (17-9, 12-2 MAC) saw their season-long winning streak of 12 matches end this past weekend against Central Michigan, but with a pair of rematches against Buffalo and Akron to be played, Ohio coach Ryan Theis wants Ohio to bounce back strong.

“Both Buffalo and Akron are very different road environments, and Buffalo is always significantly better at home,” Theis said. “It’s not going to be easy, but we have to focus on us and do our thing and try and win some road matches this weekend.”

Last weekend, the Bobcats swept Kent State before losing a thrilling, five-set match to Central Michigan. Ohio suffered offensive woes on its attack throughout the weekend, aside from sophomore outside hitter Kelly Lamberti.

Lamberti combined for 38 kills, 33 digs and 42.5 points in just eight sets, leading not only Ohio, but all players in both matches in kills and points. She did not, however, receive MAC East offensive player of the week honors, as Buffalo swept the weekly awards.

During Ohio’s lengthy winning streak, the Bobcats defeated the Bulls and the Zips during the first weekend of October with both wins occurring in straight-set sweeps.

Ohio will begin the weekend against Buffalo (9-17, 3-11 MAC) on Friday, who has struggled recently, despite strong individual performances.

The Bulls have lost nine of their past 11 matches, but have been led by the reigning MAC East offensive player of the week junior setter Dani Reinert and junior libero Kelly Svoboda, who received the defensive honors.

Reinert recorded 85 total assists in two matches last weekend, while Svoboda finished each match with 21 digs, as she is recording 4.78 per set in conference play.

In the first meeting between the two squads, Ohio dominated Buffalo, as the Bobcats won each set by at least seven points – including a 12-point victory in the second set.

Both Lamberti and fellow sophomore outside hitter Chelsea Bilger notched 12 kills and scored 12 points in just three sets, while no member of the Bulls reached double digits in points or kills.

After taking on the Bulls, the Bobcats will head north to play the Akron Zips (15-11, 8-6 MAC), who have won five of their past six and recently clinched their spot in the MAC Tournament for the first time in three seasons.

Akron, which has a 4-1 record in MAC play at home, is led by senior setter Morgan Kuhn, who recently surpassed 3,000 career assists and is averaging the seventh-highest assists per set in the MAC, with more than 10.

This weekend marks the second consecutive road trip by the Bobcats, after both matches last weekend were also on the road. Ohio has finished its home schedule for conference play. 

“It’s the second time around and I don’t like playing teams the second time in the season, on the road,” Theis said. “But, we have to; that’s how the schedule works. It’s always a dangerous situation.”

cl027410@ohiou.edu

UP NEXT:

Friday

OHIO at Buffalo

Satuday

OHIO at Akron

— Buffalo features both recipients of this week’s MAC East awards.

— Akron has won five of its past six matches and is 5-1 at home.

— Ohio defeated both teams earlier this season in straight sets.