Volleyball: Tough battle, narrow loss end Ohio's winning streak

Entering Saturday’s match, Central Michigan was the only Mid-American Conference team Ohio had not beaten, and despite a thrilling five-set match, the Bobcats’ 12-match winning streak has been snapped.

Central Michigan (13-12, 7-7 MAC) dealt Ohio its first loss since the MAC opener in September after the Chippewas edged out the Bobcats in the fifth-set to clinch the match.

Ohio (17-9, 12-2 MAC) lost the first two sets — despite attempting a comeback at the end of each set — but the momentum shifted after the intermission, as the Bobcats tied the match with two set wins of their own.

“I was definitely not very pleased with how we came out in the first two sets,” Ohio coach Ryan Theis said. “But we were able to bounce back in set three and four, but Central did everything they had in them to beat us.”

However, in the fifth set, the Bobcats could not maintain a 9-7 lead and overcome their early deficit in the match. Central Michigan won the set and the match with a 15-12 win.

Neither team won a set by more than five points, with the second and fourth sets both being decided by the minimum of two points, as both teams scored at least 20 points in the first four sets.

“I thought we did well offensively, but we always talk about one part of our game is not going to go well on the road,” Theis said. “We had problems attacking and just couldn’t produce enough kills.”

Although Theis addressed difficulties on the attack, sophomore outside hitter Kelly Lamberti led all players with a double double of 19 kills and 19 digs, while also scoring 22.5 points.

Defensively, the Bobcats continued their dominance in blocking as the team recorded 17 blocks, with freshman middle blocker Karin Bull notching five.

Freshman libero Meredith Ashy also was key for Ohio on defense, with a team-high 21 digs.

After the loss, the Bobcats no longer have sole possession of first place in the conference, but is tied with Bowling Green for the best record in the MAC East and conference overall.

Two matches remain on the schedule for Ohio before the MAC Tournament begins as the Bobcats will hit the road once again next weekend to complete their four-match road trip.

“It’s going to be hard to bounce back, especially on the road,” Theis said. “But that’s the way the schedule falls for us this season and conference championships are won on the road.”

cl027410@ohiou.edu