Freshman guard Kiyanna Black drives to the basket against Wheeling Jesuit in The Convo. The ‘Cats ended with a tie after regulation but came back and won with seven seconds left in the first overtime of the season, 76-74. (Logan Riely | For The Post)

Women's Basketball: Narrow victory tied to absent players

Ohio women’s basketball is hoping to start the regular season off with a resounding win against Cleveland State in Tuesday’s opener after an exhibition game scare from Wheeling Jesuit last week.

Ohio defeated Wheeling Jesuit 76-74 in overtime and even though the Bobcats got the win, a few weaknesses were exposed.

The biggest concern appeared to be depth. Junior guard Erin Bailes, redshirt freshman forward Jenna Curry and sophomore center Ellen Smith all did not play in the exhibition game.

Bailes missed the game due to violating an unspecified team policy and Ohio coach Semeka Randall did not say whether she would be back for the Cleveland State game, but added that Bailes is another person who would’ve been able to step in and provide a spark for the team on the floor.

Randall also acknowledged that the lack of depth might have been a leading cause for Ohio’s close call in the exhibition game.

“Obviously we didn’t have a couple players available, so it made a difference; our roster was a little short,” Randall said. “I’ll give my group credit in terms of finishing a game and not getting nervous.”

The depth should get better as the season progresses for Ohio. Bailes will eventually be back, and the team should get closer to full health soon. Right now, everything is “day-to-day.”

That seems to be a good description of how the season might go for Ohio. With a shrunken roster, freshmen like Lexie Baldwin and Kiyanna Black figure to see their roles expand.

“You could tell we were winded, I looked at our freshmen and they were bobbing their heads out there. But, they need this, they need to grow up quick,” Randall said.

Cleveland State went 12-19 this past season and is led by senior forward Shalonda Winton. Winton nearly averaged a double-double for the Vikings last year, compiling 18 points and almost 10 rebounds per game.

Winton could do some serious damage against Ohio in the post, especially if Curry and Smith remain sidelined with injuries.

In the long run, Ohio’s biggest concern will be replacing Tenishia Benson’s output from last season. Benson averaged 14 points and seven rebounds per game last year, while junior guard Shavon Robinson averaged 10 points a game and might take a more prominent role this season.

The starting five remains in question for Ohio heading into the opener thanks to some injuries and a violation. Wheeling Jesuit was a good wake-up call, and Ohio will need to bolster its depth in order to succeed this season.

jm296009@ohiou.edu